SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
I don't know how the Jeanneau is designed, but on my Catalina the cutlass bearing can be replaced without removing the propshaft. There is a $400 tool that attaches to the shaft and allows you to press the bearing out of the strut, then reverse the tool and press a new bearing in. Another C36 owner just reported having his yard to the work, charging 2 hours labor.

If you are about to set off on a long journey it may be worth the effort of preemptively replacing the shaft, but otherwise, you might want to simply replace the bearing and see if that does not adequately address the issue.

If you're saying you would like to inspect the section of the shaft covered by the strut, you should be able to separate the shaft from the transmission and slide it far enough aft to allow that. That process can be a problem and was the biggest expense when I had it done to install a dripless shaft seal on my last boat, but it certainly would seem a better option than moving the engine.

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
There is a $400 tool that attaches to the shaft and allows you to press the bearing out of the strut, then reverse the tool and press a new bearing in. [/QUOTE]

MidL do you have a pic of that tool ??? I know the 5 C-30 owners at my YC would have scows on thier faces on seeing said pic. :D[/QUOTE]

I don't have a pic myself, but have seen an article on the C36 Owners site detailing the removal and replacement process usig this tool with detailed pictures. The C36 Association owns the tool needed to replace the cutlass bearing along with a few other specialized tools and members can borrow them just for the cost of shipping each way.

It appears the C36 site is having issues because I am being denied access to the members area of the site even though I show as logged in. I saw an e-mail from another member saying there were blocked also so the problem seems to be on their end. I'll try to remember to forward you a pic when I can get access.

· Registered
2,306 Posts
Reaction score
There is a $400 tool that attaches to the shaft and allows you to press the bearing out of the strut, then reverse the tool and press a new bearing in. [/QUOTE]

MidL do you have a pic of that tool ??? I know the 5 C-30 owners at my YC would have scows on thier faces on seeing said pic. :D[/QUOTE]

Denise, the tool is called a Strut Pro.

Here is their website with info.

Strut Pro Cutless Bearing Replacement Tools

Hope the C30 fleet isn't too bummed. lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.