SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Sailors, I'm a happy new owner of a Jeanneau (Attalia 32 '85). However I have been told to replace the cutlass bearing. This appears to be a problem as the suggestion includes checking the shaft of course. However the shaft is way too long to come off without removing the rudder. In speaking with a mechanic, he suggested sliding the engine forward. Although there is great access to the engine on this model, actually moving it forward, and probably up and into the cabin seems a little excessive, to say nothing of expensive. If there is play between the shaft and cutlass bearing, is it likely the shaft is damaged? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks, Philip

· Registered
7 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thaks all for your help. As blt2ski advised, it does seem there may be enough room between the hull and the cockpit-to lift the shaft up, (which I will grease-what's the best?). When the shaft is up, the rudder pulls off aft. As for my cutlas bearing, I discovered Gilles in Annapolis for Jeanneau parts. My cutlass bearing arrives from France in a few days! The cost, including shipping-$65 (1/2 of the cost being the later). As to the coupler stories, and checking the shaft-i.e removing it- I have yet to decide, but it seems prudent to do it, when the bearing is new-any thoughts?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.