SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has any experience in replacing engine instrument panels.

My instruments are old and water-logged, and I'm thinking that while I am doing everything else this spring, that would be a quick and easy project.

Are there replacement kits available? Or do they need to be custom rebuilt guage by gauge and with a keylock?

Any assistance would be of great help.

I found a parts list of the original panel, but not sure where I should go from there.
See the following link for a parts list
marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&catalog=200150&model=Atomic%204&page_ident=200150-70&manufacturer=Universal&title=Instrument%20Panel%20(6%20unit%20Medallion)%20From%201967&size=600

Thanks!!

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
612 Posts
According to the links on the page you provided, the original parts aren't available any more. I've replaced all of mine that needed replacing with standard gauges from West Marine or Boater's World. There's nothing unique any of the gauges for an A4, though if I was replacing oil or temp or fuel gauges I'd make sure I got the matching sending unit.

My original panel was peeling off the metal tape, or whatever the covering was, and looked awful. I replaced it with a piece of Starboard and cut new holes. It's an easy replacement and looks fine.

Good luck!

·
cap'n chronic
235 Posts
Wondering if anyone has any experience in replacing engine instrument panels.

My instruments are old and water-logged, and I'm thinking that while I am doing everything else this spring, that would be a quick and easy project.

Are there replacement kits available? Or do they need to be custom rebuilt guage by gauge and with a keylock?

Any assistance would be of great help.

I found a parts list of the original panel, but not sure where I should go from there.
See the following link for a parts list
marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&catalog=200150&model=Atomic%204&page_ident=200150-70&manufacturer=Universal&title=Instrument%20Panel%20(6%20unit%20Medallion)%20From%201967&size=600

Thanks!!
on my boat i made a replacement guage panel out of teak and installed a set of faria guages as replacements.faria has a full line of a4 replacement guages.
i removed the main fibreglass housing, sanded and filled it and had it repainted at a bodyshop my workplace deals with.
make sure you take a good clear picture of the back of the panel before you start removing your wiring.
one wire at a time, i replaced all the wiring which was a nice afternoon job.
if you do this, make sure you use the proper wiring or dont bother.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.