SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace a fixed porthole on my Hunter 31. I've read up in various places on the how to, but the adhesive market seems have changed in the span of diy stories I've read. Which adhesive would you use to hold the "window" in place?

It's the long narrow, trapezoidal non-opening window on the boat in the link.

HUNTER 31 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually used adhesives lately. I have one over my nav station to repair as well.

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually used adhesives lately. I have one over my nav station to repair as well.
Just 2 days ago, we redid a non-opening window such as described by boz86 with Boat Life Life Seal and I'm quite pleased with the results. As it was an untinted window, we used clear, but on a large Bowmar hatch, we did last month, we used the black with tinted Lexan. It was easy to handle, dried quickly and was recommended by the plexi guy in Trinidad, as it was the only product available, down this way. Again, I believe proper preparation is the key, including sanding the plexi/Lexan where it will contact the adhesive.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
dow 795 is what was originally used. I just did my 1991 windows a year ago. so the stuff works. Iti s used on skyscrapers and is a mechanical sealant that will flex and handle weather. Rather inexpensive for boat stuff and comes in several colors.

Anything else is a gamble.

Prep work is the key, especially if you or the PO used "silicone" sealants of the garden variety, that will need to be removed in it's entirety.

You can get the DOW 795 at most commercial galziers or via the web.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Back when I replaced a fixed port on my C&C33 I used what the dealer recommended as the original adhesive - Plexus MA320. Only caveat is that it comes in a two-part tube (coaxial) with mixing nozzle which requires a special extra-heavy-duty caulking gun (which they rented). One serious adhesive, did a great job.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
if I could just find some darn lexan or acrilic or policarbonate or anything like this Id be done! this is an awesome simple right up...

love the look

thanks
About 2 years ago I saw several sellers who were marketing lexan, etc. on ebay in smaller sizes than full sheets at reasonable prices. I just checked and some are still doing so.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yeah I think ebay is the way to do it...its just a hassle, customs and all , and since it comes in sheets it will be expensive

just cant understand why some thing are so scarce in some countries and others not...

I mean its like a plastic non glass window...how hard can it be to have some in a whole country! jajajajajaja

man!

thanks Ill shop ebay I guess...

happen to have the links? I need them asap

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
yeah I think ebay is the way to do it...its just a hassle, customs and all , and since it comes in sheets it will be expensive

just cant understand why some thing are so scarce in some countries and others not...

I mean its like a plastic non glass window...how hard can it be to have some in a whole country! jajajajajaja

man!

thanks Ill shop ebay I guess...

happen to have the links? I need them asap
50% chance that I'll be there in May. If so, I could bring it with me.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
that would be awesome brad!

Ill see what I can find in the meantime...I dislike the stock 3 peice deals with gaskets and flimsy plastic that has 8 screws in it that leak

I need something simple...exterior and something that does not have as many parts as an engine! jajaja

thanks guys

·
19,488 Posts
Cast acrylic is, I believe, preferred over extruded acrylic and also over lexan/polycarb for most applications. It can be tough to find cast acrylic, though, and even more so perhaps in your case, Christian.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
its sucks...all I get is stares...but I bet that there will be one place that as it for cosntruction or something and they will say something like, we call it this...

of course you do

peace dudes

cant wait to do my ports too....thanks for the motivation OP

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Cast acrylic
Continuous cast acrylic
Extruded acrylic

Cast is the best and most expensive. Use structural glazing tape or 3M VHB tape and 795.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
thanks...down here those names wouldnt work, as they are in english, but most importantly we have a tendency down here to rename stuff instead iof using the scientific or original name

I have found some polycarbonate, its 6mm thick and the vendor says its real string one way but easy to break the other way

does that sound right?

its not completely clear but I like that its bronze colored kind of like mid 80s euro boats like beneateu...

thoughts?

·
19,488 Posts
thanks...down here those names wouldnt work, as they are in english, but most importantly we have a tendency down here to rename stuff instead iof using the scientific or original name

I have found some polycarbonate, its 6mm thick and the vendor says its real string one way but easy to break the other way

does that sound right?

its not completely clear but I like that its bronze colored kind of like mid 80s euro boats like beneateu...

thoughts?
Sounds like Lexan.. people have used it, if it's not something you're likely to step on, might be OK.. scratches much easier than acrylic though.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
nope its just for the big portlights...I think Ill be resuing and sealing the smaller ports as they are complete and not too bad

sorry for the hijack op

thanks faster

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I have a Coronado 25 which has 4 small ports and 4 large ports, I replaced the small ones with Lexan and I plan the same for the large ones, although Lexan scratches easier it is bullet proof and will take a hit without breaking, as far as scratching just be cautious with a deck brusk and if the ports do get scratches there are a number of products on the market to polish out the scratches. As far as sealants make sure it can be used with plastics. My choice is Lexan, just my .02

1 - 20 of 25 Posts