SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one electric head mount that I'm replacing and the Jabsco O-ring is a just a bit bigger than the groove it fits into. I cannot get it to stay in place and seat, as I have to turn the assembly upside down to get it into the space where I mount it. I've tried heavy grease and Vaseline to get it to stick, but to no avail. I'm getting quite frustrated as I've spent a over and hour of contorted position trying to get this simple replacement done. I've gotten half of the O-ring seated and partially mounted then tried to push a very thin watchmaker's screwdriver into the crack to seat the O-ring but regardless of what I try another part unseats itself!

Is there some semi-permanent adhesive that I can use here? Or some other thing I can try? The groove is, unfortunately, straight and not concave to allow pressure fitting. The O-Ring size that I'm using is correct, it has the same diameter as the old one which I'm replacing. The old one doesn't want to go into the groove, either!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops, I did select the wrong picture, but the parts are as @Quickstep192 labelled them. The other face where the slot seats is part of the toilet itself and is bolted in place.

I finally got it seated by using Scotch-tape to seat the O-ring and keep it in place, then mounted the whole assembly and lightly tightened the bolts by hand. Then I eased the tape out and the O-ring remained seated. Then I tightened and tested for leaks. Success :) There had been one iron part that had corroded, and the corrosion on the electric motor is, luckily, only superficial and did not penetrate into the housing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts