SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our steel (carbon steel?) plates which serve as backing for the washers and nuts which tighten the keel bolts to the hull in the bottom of our bilge are corroded and falling apart. Removing the nuts and washers turned out to be easy but the corroded breaking apart rectangular plates are still firmly adhered to the bottom of the bilge. We don't have enough room to get a big prybar in there plus we don't want to damage the fiberglass. Any ideas on removing them? I don't know how long they have been there or what the adhesive is. Thanks!

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,404 Posts
I believe that they are 304 stainless... They're probably stuck to the keel with 4200 or 5200. The best bet would be to get a sharp - disposable chisel, and a heatgun. Heat the plates, then put (drive) the chisel under the plate, and pry up.

Replace with 1/8" plates made from 316 stainless.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Do you have some room to wedge a chisel underneath? I would apply some heat and try to wedge them loose. Probably 5200 under there which is very hard to remove. Don't worry about scratching the FG. That can be repaired very easily.

Also, photos would help us help you.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,404 Posts
The iron oxide and water is more corrosive than water alone.

Frankly, if the plates are not too far gone, I would first try to clean with a wire wheel and a drill. If you want / need to replace them, I would figure out where all the water came from in the first place.

Also, lightly coat the bolts with Tef-Gel before replacing the nuts (frankly, I would put some on the bolts before trying to back the nuts off).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts