SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Southern Cross 35
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to replace the lower shrouds this winter. Bristol 29.9, the mast is keel stepped. I'm wondering if it is safe to do this with the mast in place.

My thought is:
- run a spare halyard from the starboard toerail up over the port spreader (where it attaches to the mast) and down to the toerail, forming an upsidedown "V" down to the starboard toerail roughly mirroring the two lower shrouds
- tighten it as best I can.
- loosen the 2 starboard lower shrouds.
- up the mast and disconnect the shrouds

Does this plan sound right? and specifically:
- Is it safe for me to go up the mast in this state?
- will the mast be secure enough to leave it in this state for a week or three?

·
19,484 Posts
You have double lowers... I'd just do one at a time and call it done.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You can take all the shrouds and stays off your mast. It will be fine. You can even climb it without it breaking (Unless maybe you are 350#). But it will be super wobbly. So yes, you can certainly steady it with halyards. Not so sure it would be safe unrigged in a gale. It could oscillate and wag until it broke.

You might want to loosen all the upper shrouds and backstay before loosening the lowers as the mast might get an odd bow from the preloads.

Those spreader bases don't look so durable. I might worry about them getting stressed without shrouds.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Several people I know have replaced rigging with the mast up. I watched a rigger replace all the rigging on a Westsail 32 at the dock including removing the spreaders for inspection. I plan to replace my rigging at the dock as well - 2 pieces at a time.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
ABSOLUTELY DOABLE

let me know if you need any help...

you can do it on most any boat with a strong enough mast, keel stepped or deck stepped

you have running rigging right?

so yes the answer is any masted boat that can tolerate your wieght or that of a helper can do with changing individual parts at one time or another

Reactions: zeehag

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in the process of doing mine . Have done the main mast now have to do the mizzen . I replaced two at a time and used the running rigging as temporary supports . The forestay I did by itself I used a piece of rope as a tempory one , attached the top to the spiniker halyard and walked I it down the dock while a friend lowered it so i could pull the furler apart . It wasn't hard just allow more time than you thought in case the screws and split pins don't want to come out .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.