SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
61 - 80 of 82 Posts
No was talking about Trojans for the FLA levels of quality with Rolls on top

Lifelines only for AGM because they are the only AGM which allows / encourages desulfation, and warranty

Discussion starter · #62 ·
Thanks for all the great information, guys. One last wiring related question... When replacing my 12V house batteries with a couple of 6V golf cart bats, do I have to swap out the wires that connect em to the charger, battery switch etc, or will the same gauge of wiring work here?

Please, let it be the latter...lol

As long as the same means up to code. Plus you need 1 more cables to Connect neg/ positive to make the 6 volt a 12 volt. I use 2/0 gauge for my battery cables between batteries and to the positive and negative.

Using the larger gauge cuts down on resistance ( heat) and energy loss if traveling a distance. Make sure everything is fused properly.

Again consults Mainsails video tutorials. I would also be getting a battery monitor like the Victron I previously posted.
You may consider adding an ACR ( to combine in emergency the starting and house bank and allow charging .

New batteries it's imperative to upgrade that charger to 3 step one.

For great info. Much supplies by our own Mainsail on many many topics. I follow his videos and recommendations on many of my projects over the years. Marinehowto.com has many great topics

Reactions: Vagab0nd
I follow this religiously

do I have to swap out the wires that connect em to the charger, battery switch etc, or will the same gauge of wiring work here?

Please, let it be the latter...lol
Examine your current wiring carefully. Look at the gauges see that they are proper. Look for corrosion and improper wiring. Make sure everything is fused as it should be.

If you follow all the advice given here, you will be spending $1000 or more to change your battery. Make sure your adding the battery and all the recommended gear to a safe environment.

Again consults Mainsails video tutorials. I would also be getting a battery monitor like the Victron I previously posted.
In the last year or so Mainsail posted a review about a Balmar (I think) battery monitor that solves a problem with other BMs. Not a laxitive though. The BMs base settings are from a new battery the new model can keep track of the batteries diminished capacity over time and reflect this in its indication of battery condition.

I'd be interested to see if he recommends the newest Balmar over the Victron now.

I have a Balmar ARS -5 external 3 stage regulator with 2 temp cables and a 600 series 100 amp alternator.
I have been satisfied with its performance
My Victron still works excellently so I won’t change it unless it gives up the ghost

Discussion starter · #68 ·
I will def be upgrading to a three stage charger in the future, but the previous boat owner had these three 12V batteries hooked up to the Charles charger and everything was working fine. What's the worst that could happen if I didn't upgrade the charger right now? They wouldn't last quite as long?

Is it three stage? If so it has to be set correctly.

If not you’ll piss your money away buying new batteries and shortening their life
It runs the possibility of over charging and not establishing a good charging profile

I’ve tried to explain to you that you have to look at this as a whole system. Maybe I’m not getting through

The way you charge the batteries has everything to do with how many cycles, what they charge to, and how to prevent overcharging them. You don’t have to get everything all at once , but you can’t piecemeal things either. A three stage charger is the centerpiece of maintaining and preserving the batteries for now for you.

Find out if the Charles is that. You’ve confused me/ us talking about some cheap auto zone charger and a sterling charger. All this is covered in the material I sent you.

You appear to be doing the right thing with the two 6 volt house bank, but will screw them up if not charged correctly and shorten their lives thus wasting your money.

I have given you many tutorials from our Resident expert Mainsail, Have you watched any of them, or are you just charging (sic) ahead . Almost everyone here has good advice but also have said you need to read.

if you have a Charles marine charger that is working why change it. they made very good chargers and they are 3 bank, 3 stage chargers that have charge profiles for all battery types. had one in our last boat

Reactions: Vagab0nd
Discussion starter · #71 ·
Is it three stage? If so it has to be set correctly.

If not you'll piss your money away buying new batteries and shortening their life
It runs the possibility of over charging and not establishing a good charging profile

I've tried to explain to you that you have to look at this as a whole system. Maybe I'm not getting through

The way you charge the batteries has everything to do with how many cycles, what they charge to, and how to prevent overcharging them. You don't have to get everything all at once , but you can't piecemeal things either. A three stage charger is the centerpiece of maintaining and preserving the batteries for now for you.

Find out if the Charles is that. You've confused me/ us talking about some cheap auto zone charger and a sterling charger. All this is covered in the material I sent you.

You appear to be doing the right thing with the two 6 volt house bank, but will screw them up if not charged correctly and shorten their lives thus wasting your money.

I have given you many tutorials from our Resident expert Mainsail, Have you watched any of them, or are you just charging (sic) ahead . Almost everyone here has good advice but also have said you need to read.
Yeah man, I'm currently watching the vids and have been slowly absorbing all this information. I'm just grappling with the $$ as I wasn't initially planning on three new batteries and a charger. Plus electrical is very daunting for me. Fingers crossed my Charles is indeed a three-stage and I can just plug these back in (with the addition of the wire to make the 6V a 12V) and then I'm off to the races!

Discussion starter · #72 ·
if you have a Charles marine charger that is working why change it. they made very good chargers and they are 3 bank, 3 stage chargers that have charge profiles for all battery types. had one in our last boat
For sure...I'm just waiting to confirm that mine is indeed a three-stage charger. All this talk of needing one has me worried that it isn't, so I'm just confirming this before I plug in my three new batteries.

The last thing I want right now is to have to buy a new charger!

what model is it. we had a 2000 series and it is 3 stage. do think they made a marine charger that was not.

Discussion starter · #75 ·
As long as the same means up to code. Plus you need 1 more cables to Connect neg/ positive to make the 6 volt a 12 volt. I use 2/0 gauge for my battery cables between batteries and to the positive and negative.
One question: I've read over the tutorials you provided on wiring this 6V. Thanks again. My two old 12V are currently set up in a parallel connection. Are you suggesting I do the two new 6V in a Series/Parallel connection, for a doubling of voltage and capacity?

two 6 volt batteries in series gives you 12 volts but does not double the rated capacity. two series 6volts with a rated capacity of 200 amp hour when in series will give you 200 amp hour at 12 volts

Discussion starter · #79 ·
How many do you plan on buying?

Unless you buy 4 of them you can't put them on seires and parallel no matter how many wires you connect them with.
i guess I misunderstood something said up there.

My current house batteries are in a parallel connection. I thought chef meant I had to now connect my 6s to make them 12V, ("Plus you need 1 more cables to Connect neg/ positive to make the 6 volt a 12 volt.")

so i thought he meant this part from the link provided which mentions a doubling of the voltage (and my understanding was that I was already doubling the capacity by having these two golf cart batts, 230+ 230:

"In a Series/Parallel Combo Configuration the batteries are wired per the diagram below and the result would be a doubling of the voltage and doubling of the capacity. In our illustration we show four (4) 6V batteries with 225AH wired together. Each set is wired in series creating 2 banks, then the 2 banks are wired together in a parallel configuration. The result would be a battery bank that produces 12V and 450AH."

My initial thought was... cant I just wire up these 6V the exact same way the 12s had been, in a parallel connection, and then I'm back where I started.

i guess I misunderstood something said up there.

My current house batteries are in a parallel connection. I thought chef meant I had to now connect my 6s to make them 12V, ("Plus you need 1 more cables to Connect neg/ positive to make the 6 volt a 12 volt.")

so i thought he meant this part from the link provided which mentions a doubling of the voltage (and my understanding was that I was already doubling the capacity by having these two golf cart batts, 230+ 230:

"In a Series/Parallel Combo Configuration the batteries are wired per the diagram below and the result would be a doubling of the voltage and doubling of the capacity. In our illustration we show four (4) 6V batteries with 225AH wired together. Each set is wired in series creating 2 banks, then the 2 banks are wired together in a parallel configuration. The result would be a battery bank that produces 12V and 450AH."

My initial thought was... cant I just wire up these 6V the exact same way the 12s had been, in a parallel connection, and then I'm back where I started.
Look at the diagrams
The boat runs on a 12 volt system

2-6 volts= 1- 12 volts. You don't double the ah. You make 1 -12 volt from the 2 - 6 volt with 220 ah.
Please look at the diagrams

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.