SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I purchased a 1991 Contest 35s this past October, and I'm considering moving the Garmin 740 GPSmap plotter and the Raymarine ST60 wind, depth and speed gauges, to a pod configuration, installed on the pedestal guard. However, I see that most manufacturers of these pods have them for pedestal guards with a width of 9.5" and 12" only. The width of the Whitlock pedestal on my Contest 35s is 12.5". (The label on the pedestal states that it was "Custom Made by Whitlock", but other Contest owners think it may be a Whitlock Cobra model).

I've seen some suggestions that the pedestal guard could be replaced with one that it 12" wide, if you get the proper top plate. So if you've upgraded you pedestal guard, please feel free to identify the parts and methods used. (Or if anyone knows of a pod manufacturer who supports 12.5" width pedestal guards). I know I could attach a clamp on style of navigation pod to one bar, but I'm looking to install the ones which secures to both bars.

Finally, this is a 1991 boat and I suppose there's always the option of simply replacing the entire steering pedestal. At this point, the pedestal compass and folding table need to be entirely replaced, I want to replace the steering wheel with a collapsible wheel, and the paint is showing signs of blistering. I figure at the minimum I should probably remove the pedestal, have it powder coated, and then rebuild it before installing any electronics. Maybe it would be worth it to simply replace the whole thing?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
I did what you are talking about, changed the guard from 12.5" to a new one that is 12". I couldn't find any parts (1988 boat) so I built my own new top plate out of aluminum. I used bronze bushings to make a nice fit to the tubes and used a two part automotive paint and primer. It turned out nice, better looking than the old pedestal, but it was quite a bit of work and I had access to a machine shop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the responses. I'm going to go the route of servicing this pedestal, (removal, powder coating, etc.), and while I'm at it, upgrading the pedestal guard to one that is 12" and angled. The only tricky bit will be getting a proper top plate. If need be I can always find someone locally who can make me one.

Jason

·
19,488 Posts
On the outside chance that you find something that pushes you towards outright replacement, I've been very pleased with the new Edson pedestal system that the PO of our boat upgraded to.. 'goodbye' to chain and cable issues...

Reactions: jasn

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had s similar issue with my Contest 36s (1985). Gears were worn on the Whitlock system. We contacted the manufacturer-no replacement parts available. So I replaced the pedestal portion of the steering system with an Edson which was pretty much a perfect match for the underdeck components. I opted for the forward angled pedestal guard and have radar and GPS(older Garmin unit) mounted on Edson arm brackets. For my purposes this works well but could install a pod if need be. Before you invest in refinishing or rehabing the old Whitlock, make sure the mechanicals are in good order. Parts may be unavailable or hard to get. The new Edson system works extremely well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks again Faster and Samson1..

I was opting to look into a Lewmar, (who bought Whitlock), replacement, but especially with samson1's confirmation that the Edson was a good fit, I will look into Edson replacements as well.

I'm going to make a point to examine the gears before making any decision. I'm assuming these are gears inside the pedestal, so it will mean taking it apart as well.

Samson1, can you remember the Edson model number, and any other specific parts you needed to use for your Whitlock pedestal replacement?

Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
The invoice for the replacement parts indicates the "pedestal only taper shaft"-EDS960G464T, the pedestal down tube 5"-EDS464SPECDW, hex bolts, engine control and new wheel. There were a few other miscellaneous parts that went with the corresponding pedestal. I do recall that the yard did contact Edson directly as they did have to make some minor modification at the factory for the proper alignment below decks. Edson accommodated this request without at problem. I hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts