SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, another Nicro thread!
Just purchased this Cat 25. as you can see in the pic, the old Nicro vent cover had been snapped off and became a nice place for all manner of intrusion. I have a replacement vent unit but while the hole is the same size, the cover radius is wider. My intent is to remove the old fan unit, epoxy the previous screw holes and install the new vent using butyl tape.
1st question- is the overlap with the nonskid going to be an issue?
2nd question - having no history on how the original vent was installed, I'm assuming the worst and that they used 5200. what's the best way to go about removing without destroying the entire boat?

Attachments

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
There is a good article on the release of 3M 5200 on the BoatUS website, here. You might, however, try to remove the old vent fitting by hand first. The original installation instructions for the Nicro vents suggested using a non-adheasive sealant if the rubber gasket provided was inadequate so that may have been done, in which case a thin putty knife with a sharpened edge may be all you'll need (for a material such as LifeCaulk).

More salient (to my eyes) is the position of that vent, on the foredeck I suspect. If so, I'm guessing the original vent cover was ripped off by a sheet having been caught under the lip of the vent during a tack and, if so, I can guaranty that the larger replacement vent will be short lived absent a sheet guard over the vent unless you simply remove the vent and insert the weather cap when sailing which shoudn't be much of an issue as I suspect, on a Cal 25, most sailing will be day trips, no?

N'any case, good luck...

FWIW...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Boatus link and a great point about it being an obstruction. I have a flush dome trim cover to go over it as a sheet guard that should mitigate the problem. Yeah, this is purely lake sailing so just day trips and fun club regattas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts