SailNet Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,357 Posts
Rock it to free the crank. Disconnect the feed to the water pump and stick the end of the hose in to a bucket of water. Do not use a water hose directly to the pump. Connect a battery and start the motor. Take it from there.
There are a slew of risks to doing what you suggest on an engine that has been sitting for 15 years.
First of all the fuel in the tank is stale and bound to be contaminated. Without changing the fuel before trying to start the engine, there is a risk of damaging the injectors.
Since this engine has sat for 15 years, it would take a lot of cranking to get it to start. Cranking the engine with the raw water intake open or sitting in a bucket of water, risks hydrolock, and thereby damaging connecting rods, valves or worse.
Cranking the engine without replacing the raw water impeller risks the impeller shredding and clogging the heat exchanger.
Running the engine without changing the oil threatens to pump water and gunk into oil passages and damaging bearings, seals and journals.
I still suggest that it pays to take a more conservative approach to starting an engine that has not been started for this long.

Jeff

·
Freedom isn't free
3,019 Posts
I agree with these guys, its worth the effort to see if you can get the old oil burner working.
Outboard on a 29 footer, would not be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
576 Posts
@jaysonak Glad you asked the question and +1 to all the good advice. I will add that considering the cost of a good outboard plus the all the other stuff needed for installation and operation, vs the cost of rebuilding the Yanmar (pretty extreme case) you would probably come out ahead. Way ahead of you do the work yourself.

My boat had been on the hard for 10 years when I picked her up. The owner said he ran the Yanmar 2GM20(f) regularly to keep it in shape, but who really knows. He did fire it up for me. I had to replace all of the 'regular maintenance' parts but 6 going on 7 years later I've never had a problem.

You can download the service manual here: YANMAR 2QM15 SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib
Parts manual: https://www.lsm-diesel.dk/2012/yanmar/pdf/motordele_2qm15.pdf

2QM15 Maintenance discussions:

Good luck!

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,357 Posts
One quick point on the oil filter change issue mentioned in the quoted post. The hot ticket on that is to cut the bottom out of a milk jug and place it in the bilge below the oil filter. Make the jug bottom as tall as will fit and as close to the engine block as you can. Most of the oil from the old filter will end up in the jug bottom. I empty the oil in the old filter into the jug bottom before transferring it to the trash to avoid drips. Using a funnel, I drain the oil from the jug bottom into the waste oil container using a funnel.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts