SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Reaction score
I considered the same change, but then realized that when the sails are raised, the entire run under stress is all wire except for the final 18 inches at the mast cleat... and 18 inches of line, no matter how old, can't stretch nearly as much as a full-run of new all-rope halyards will. Yes, my lines are old and a bit dirty, but the wire portions are still fine and in the final analysis I could come up with better ways of spending boat money.

If you race, wire has less wind-resistance too.

I'm not trying to challenge your thinking... but just share a conclusion I reached from the same circumstances.

· Registered
275 Posts
Reaction score
Stumble. Are you saying wire stretches more than the typical line one might use for a cruising boat halyard? I find that hard to accept.

I would also question line having a weight advantage, and there is no question wire has the windage advantage.

Just mark me down as one who is fully satisfied with my old wire/rope halyards.

· Registered
275 Posts
Reaction score
Comparing wire to 1/8 Dyneema, I will grant your point. But I don't wanna raise my main and jib hauling on 1/8 inch line... ouch.

Comparing weight, windage and stretch of wire-rope to something like all-line VPC (cited here a couple times) and the comparison is less favorable. And Sta-Setx would be even worse.

I will concede that wire-rope halyard's days have passed, but while mine are still intact I am fine with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.