SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,262 Posts
Reaction score
Change over to line instead of wire. I know you said the sheave is too small, but it isn't. Even if you don't want to change the sheave just replace the halyard with the same size dyneema line with a larger piece of some cheap line as a tail spliced in.

It will end up being at least as strong as the wire it replaces, with less stretch and less weight.

· Registered
3,262 Posts
Reaction score
Stumble. Are you saying wire stretches more than the typical line one might use for a cruising boat halyard? I find that hard to accept.

I would also question line having a weight advantage, and there is no question wire has the windage advantage.

Just mark me down as one who is fully satisfied with my old wire/rope halyards.
Then you need to take a look at modern lines.

Just some quick numbers...

..................Size......MBL (lbs)........weight.........price/ft
7x19ss wire..1/8".....1,600........... .0304lbs/ft.... $.32
Dyneema......7/64....1,600........... .003lbs/ft...... $.21
Dyneema......1/8".....2,300........... .005lbs/ft..... $.34

Stretch is a little complicated to figure for wire, but in the size we are worried about dyneema has about 95% the stretch of 7x19wire.

So it's lighter, stronger, has less stretch, and costs less. Plus it will never meat hook. If you want to use wire feel free, but it really doesn't work anymore.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.