SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
you do not need to change sheaves out...unless you really want to

new line is quite a bit stronger and less stretchy for the same diamater, SOOOOOOOOO

if you want to save some $$ especially on smaller boats, switch out the wire rope halyards to a 1 size down all line halyard...

cheers

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
you dont gain anything...only reason to replace is if they are fraying.

if you do replace I would recomend going 1 size down...no need to go same size since line today is much stronger per same size

thats just me though

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
both have benefits...new rope stretches as little as wire back in the day

however both types have advantages I for one dont mind wire rope at all and find them easier to use in some cases...

the weight of wire in very windy scenarios makes it easier to grab a lone stray halyard, it also free falls faster...

the very thick end rope or tailing rope feels great in the hands

wire up against the mast has less windage, of course it can and will scratch a nice paint job...

in most cases wires are less likely to kink and get stuck, again because of weight and the difference in flexibility.

anywhoo

meathooks suck big time...but if you dont have a meathook enjoy it till it does! jajaja

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.