SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1972 Irwin 28 and currently the travler is positioned at the aft of cockpit. I am going to be installing a Bimini top with dodger and would like to relocate the travler so the lines dont interfere with the bimini and its in an undesirable spot. What implications would I face if I repositioned it to infront of the dodger. was going to run it like this

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,750 Posts
You will need to:
- double the mechanical advantage of all of the blocks on your mainshest and traveler adjusters or more likely some mix of increasing the purchase on the mainsheet and installing a winch and stopper for your mainsheet since you will probably have too much friction if you double the mechanical advantage of the mainsheet by adding more blocks.
-dramatically increase the bending strength and stiffness of your boom
-reinforce your cabin top to withstand the vertical loads and the sides of your cabin to take the side loads from the traveler.

The other implication is that you will take a nice sailing boat and make it a PIA to sail in gusty conditions.

Jeff

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i was thinking guess i will be changing my bimini design the bimini will only be up when docked or anchored so i have another idea for it

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
If the bimini isn't being used under way then why not just have a sun shade that extends over the top of the boom? It can be a lot simpler and not get in the way of any sailing gear.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because I don't like the look of a sun shade and neither does the wife she has final say on all lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Abuse, mind if I offer a little counterpoint to Jeff’s comments? I agree that moving the mainsheet to mid-boom will dramatically increase the loads, but these are calculable and not insurmountable. I’ve got all sorts of Biron Toss notes at home that go through this but I’m at work so you get the cliff notes. You could pose your question over on his “rig talk” BB and get a rigger’s perspective. The load on the boom would get redistributed across (probably) three bails and you would add blocks to achieve the desired load on the mainsheet winch. If you go with a dodger you will not be able to use the mainsheet block you currently have. The traveler example you show has a three to one purchase. Garhauer makes a four to one if you need more purchase. From a structural standpoint your basic cabin should be strong enough (balsa cored?). You will be installing some (pretty large) backing plates exposed on the cabin overhead (warning: those acorn nuts are “killers”!)

I race in a Cal 40 fleet that has both boom-end and mid-boom sheeting. It can be done. I’m not quite sure on the PIA comment. The Cal, with end sheeting, is a b*tch to adjust traveler. However, my lowly Catalina with mid boom sheeting is a dream to adjust in our often boisterous San Francisco Bay conditions. I’m not sure of your sailing style or wind conditions but your traveler and mainsheet controls will be further away from the helm to the point of being inconvenient or downright hard to use if you do single handing. Now for the really bad news: You will be spending a large fortune in doing this re-rig. Are you really willing to spend a large portion of your boat’s value on this knowing you will not get a penny out of it and at worse, possibly detract from a future resale value?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Based on the sailplan of Abuse's boat from the link he provided the mainsheet would be forward or the midway point of the main's foot. Also as posted single handed sailing will be an issue.

Attachments

·
Sailor
931 Posts
You could get creative and build a windshield in front of the present Mainsheet and place a Bimini aft that is only used when anchored or at the dock. Make a bridge that zips to the windshield and the Bimini with a zipper that allows placement around the Mainsheet. Other boats have built in windshields (Gozzards for one) so it isn't too way out of an idea.

Just a thought. It is nice to not get a spray of sea water in the face!

Tod

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
You could get creative and build a windshield in front of the present Mainsheet and place a Bimini aft that is only used when anchored or at the dock. Make a bridge that zips to the windshield and the Bimini with a zipper that allows placement around the Mainsheet.
Tod
The mainsheet is now over the aft end of the cockpit so that will not work without moving it. Certainly a dodger or windshield could be installed in the normal position forward of the companionway hatch. A bimini is more problematic.

·
Sailor
931 Posts
Oh; a drawing was posted showing the Mainsheet at the companionway on the bridge deck.

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Oh; a drawing was posted showing the Mainsheet at the companionway on the bridge deck.
Mandolin
I posted the drawing from the link posted by abuse. It does look like it is on the bridgedeck in the drawing. He said the mainsheet is at the aft end of the cockpit.

While your suggestion would work at anchor it wouldn't work while sailing as you stated.

·
Sailor
931 Posts
From the picture, I can't see how the Mainsheet would come to the aft part of the cockpit. The boom looks too short. Is the Mainsheet brought aft of the pedestal? If so, wouldn't the pedestal interfere? I suspect the the drawing is not one of his boat. It would help to have some pictures or more accurate drawings.

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The sailboatdata link posted earlier is to an Irwin 28-4, and it states first built in 1976. Abuse has an earlier version, he said his was '72 vintage.

This is most likely his boat:
IRWIN 28-1 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Note that it's also tiller steered, so no pedestal issues.
That makes more sense. The drawing I posted came from his link.

Looking at the new sailplan drawing, assuming its accuracy, I wouldn't move the mainsheet to the cabintop as it would be more than halfway to the mast. Here's the sailplan:

·
Registered
244 Posts
My boat is mid-boom sheeted without a traveler. Fiddle blocks with cam cleats are mounted on each side of the bulkhead in forward cockpit. Purchase is 4 to 1. I can bring the boom past center a small distance. Bimini is behind main sheets. I have seen a bimini mounted forward of the sheets with transom traveler.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts