SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I am a newbie to sailing by definition, and have come across a FREE boat...scary, but true. I have decided to give it a shot, starting with the many needed repairs. However, I have no idea what I am working with...could some gentleperson give me an idea of what make/model I am dealing with? There is no build plate on it, decals have long since weathered off. Thanks in advance!

It is 18' OAL, appx. 6' beam, fiberglass daggerboard trunk in the middle of a full-width fiberglass "bench seat", it has two "seats" on either side with storage compartments underneath, a large open compartment in the bow, a large semi-circular relief molded into the stern.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get permissions from the mods.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I don't know what it is but it looks like something to scrub up, find some second hand sails for and go have a ball sailing.

I'd love to have something like that that I could haul down to my buddies lake house and my familes places along the SC coast.

Get her set up and have a great time!

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
The best (cheapest) kind of free boat you can get is one that is made of all fiberglass and comes with a trailer. What is that hoe doing on the deck???
The boat looks familiar but so far I can only ascertain that it is not an O'Day day sailor. When rigged up the boat should look something like this: Oday 17 sailboat for sale
Have fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help everyone! I haven't found any numbers on the hull....maybe they are engraved somewhere? We have been searching for a plate to no avail.

I would be thrilled if it were an O'Day. Somehow, I doubt it would be free. Maybe it's a no-name brand? I'm struggling to identify it via the www.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The best (cheapest) kind of free boat you can get is one that is made of all fiberglass and comes with a trailer. What is that hoe doing on the deck???
The boat looks familiar but so far I can only ascertain that it is not an O'Day day sailor. When rigged up the boat should look something like this: Oday 17 sailboat for sale
Have fun and enjoy.
That looks like an ice scraper, so it should be "what's an ice scraper doing in Florida?" and better question is who was using it on a boat?:eek:

Looks like a nice boat, I've seen a couple that looked like it, but can't think of the make.
I've actually been looking at boats in that size range that I can haul around to some of the inland lakes here, and explore more remote areas on the big lakes. Only hold up so far is I'm trying to determine whether I'd want to go with an open boat, or hold out for something with a small cabin.

Those smaller boats can get a whole lot more use than larger boats.

Ken.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the scraper was only used to gently scrape the pond scum out of it. This boat was free, so it's basically a rescue. I have before cleaning pics if you'd like to see them. It was stored outside, under trees, in Florida, uncovered, for two years!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hmm, by the looks of a couple pics, you did get at least one sail....

Not a bad boat at all, pretty similar to the condition my old partager was in when I first picked it up.

Think you got yourself a nice boat, good size.

Looks like you've already done some serious clean-up.

Still can't place the make, transom looks familiar, but if it's no problem could you get a prfile shot?

Ken.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turns out we've got some serious rot to remove. The whole deck up to the cubbyhole has fallen apart. This may be a year-long project...

I checked the transom for a Hull ID#, but it has been recoated with epoxy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts