SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been lurking around for half a year. I always wanted to learn how to sail but it wasn’t cost effective in Europe, which is where I’ve been the last 23 years. Come this April the first mate and I will be taking instructions on the fine art of sailing.

If all goes as planned, we maybe looking into a 23-27 foot daysailer to call or own, (wife’s idea) so I might have to strike while the irons still hot.:D

I would appreciate any advice on a “good old boat” from the seasoned folks here.

Thanks

Nick

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Nick, first take the class. And ask where you can bum rides locally, at the local boat club, yacht club, or the sailing school itself. There are plenty of good old boats--but you may find that after you've sailed on a dozen or so, you have a preference for qualities that you have no feel for right now.

Fast, slow, roomy, deck lay out, standing room in the head or berth, simply HAVING a head or galley, tiller or wheel, high initial stability or dynamic stability...and then a rare few boats are simply so nicely balanced that you step back and wonder, who's sailing the boat?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the sound advice. I just posted a question on the buying a boat forum. Wish I would have waited and read this reply first….:hammer

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Welcome, another potomac sailor here. Check out middle potomac sailing association for some YC and free rides in your area. Also look for DISC and Washington Sailing marina for rides as well.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking into the Belle Haven Marina sailing school in Alexandria. The school at Bolling AFB in DC offers cources on 23-27 footers but I can't make the Thursday evening instructions.

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
I am looking into the Belle Haven Marina sailing school in Alexandria.
That's a good place and a Flying Scot at 19ft, is as big a boat I'd want to sail on the Potomac.

O'day Daysailers and Mariners are also fun trailerables.

Most people agree, it's "easier" to move from a centerboard boat to a keel than a keel to centerboard.

Besides, they offer to rent to school grads at rediculously low prices compared to ownership. (At least they used to)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts