SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
As part of a fairly extensive refit, I'd like to move the engine stop cable from the pedestal. I was considering under the cockpit seat, behind the helm, but open to suggestions. Has anyone moved their stop cable??
Any info would be appreciated.
CR

·
Master Mariner
8,253 Posts
I would think that this is one item you would want placed as conveniently near the helm as possible. After all, it could also be called the emergency engine shut down.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I've been on a lot of boats where the only way to reach the shutoff is to reach through the wheel, and I've always been told that reaching through the wheel is a no-no. That would be a reason to re-route it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To clarify: the pedestal is corroded. As is the platform situated beneath the compass that supports the pedestal guard and to which the stop cable plunger is attached. I want to fix the pedestal and replace the platform and pedestal guard to accommodate new instruments. That leaves me with the stop cable plunger--if it is no longer attached to the platform, where can I reroute it? Mechanic at the boatyard suggested running the cable to the cockpit seat, with the plunger just beneath for easy access from the helm. I am leery of this idea.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you considered the electrical option( apushbutton on the engine instrument panel)which opens the solenoid. This option was available for Yanmar engines.

·
Registered
668 Posts
We have a tiller steered Pacific Seacraft 34. Our engine stop handle is in the port cockpit locker. It is where the factory put it. The Teleflex cable runs from there to the lever on the engine.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Registered
248 Posts
I recently put a new pedestal on Hush. I routed the stop cable to come out under the helm seat and thru one of the teak slats that that run athwartship. Easy reach to the helm, very sturdy and out of the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently put a new pedestal on Hush. I routed the stop cable to come out under the helm seat and thru one of the teak slats that that run athwartship. Easy reach to the helm, very sturdy and out of the way.
You wouldnt happen to have a picture would you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you considered the electrical option( apushbutton on the engine instrument panel)which opens the solenoid. This option was available for Yanmar engines.
Thanks. The boatyard tells me that this option is not available for a 1990 Yanmar. Currently looking for a second opinion.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I have a Yanmar 2GM and the stop cable is on the panel in the cockpit. It was recommended to me that I move it off the panel. The reason was the panel lifts a little when pulling on the cable and could break the seal on any bedding used around the panel.

You could probably just put it anywhere convenient, for regular use, and/or in an emergency.

·
Barquito
3,480 Posts
Under the seat would be a lot better than where my choke pull (same knob as diesel kill) is located. Mine is on the bottom of the side seats. When heeled, we need to dance around a little to avoid stepping on the thing. Our ignition switch is inside the cabin. :(

·
Noah's Bosun
236 Posts
Anywhere you can reach it with reasonable ease and out of the way enough to avoid getting around the cockpit. Don't overthink it...

Would not go to electric even if it were an option... Most solenoid stops need to be energized to open the fuel shutoff valve on the injector pump. As the draw is pretty good, they will usually also have a relay to pass the higher solenoid current. Switch failure, relay failure, solenoid failure, or power failure will kill your iron genoa. 9 out of 10 diesel gensets I work on that have starting issues are related to the fuel shutoff (which for remote operation) is usually electric.

Mechanical guages... Mechanical fuel shutoff... Mechanical Throttle control... No lies, and easy to rig busted stuff in an emergency.

Just sayin :rolleyes:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Chris, Sounds like you are having the same problem I had with Hush. Our pedestal was in poor condition too. The biggest problem we had was not having the ability to change the steering cable should a break occur. The housing for the throttle and clutch welded it's stainless flat head screws to the aluminum housing and there was no breaking them free. We considered going to a tiller, but the Admiral wasn't too keen and even threatened to never take the helm as long as she had to steer with a "stick." After a considerable amount of research I contacted Edson and ordered a Vision series pedestal. It is the newer more modern version that integrates the hand hold into the pedestal itself. It comes standard with a very nice console to install a Nav Plotter. I am not installing an outdoor MDT instead we have ours at the nav station. Underway, we use a iPad for viewing and control. Works for us and I don't have to worry so much about theft or damaging seawater. I will try to send some pictures for you to see what we did. Until then take care.

·
S/V Interlude, PSC31
295 Posts
Kinda late to this, but just rerouted our Yanmar stop cable because it frankly was corroded and suspect, also on pedestal where maybe could be tempted to reach though wheel in emergency (thought about that once already!) Anyway it ended up in the Starboard combing/winch handle box. short route, out of weather, close at hand, not likely to snag on anything.

Pondering new pedestal someday but just replaced all the cables and chain for the steering so will live with the nonstandard sized grab bar, no longer being made, Merriman. It's pretty solid just old. Kinda like the rest of our boat!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Depends on architecture / ergonomics of the boat and how you typical motor.

Mine is on a recess next to the engine instruments on the stbd coaming. It's not reach able from behind the helm... but I don't see stopping the engine needs to accessible from the helm per se. On my boat I've never felt there would be a better place. YMMV

Attachments

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I have a Yanmar 2GM and the stop cable is on the panel in the cockpit. It was recommended to me that I move it off the panel. The reason was the panel lifts a little when pulling on the cable and could break the seal on any bedding used around the panel.

You could probably just put it anywhere convenient, for regular use, and/or in an emergency.
My panel was replaced a few years ago because it was cracked where the engine stop was located--obviously due to stress when activating the stop cable. When the new panel was installed we mounted the stop cable directly to the fiberglass to the right of the panel.

The ordinary location was to the right of the R in Yanmar on the factory panel, but the new panel had the same weakness as the old. Dumb design by Yanmar!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts