SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching this video, it gave me an idea for this thread.

Have you ever had to jump ship for whatever reason?

A little background on the video:

Somewhere off of Bermuda while on the way to Puerto Rico, the Crown Princess had to rescue this man. He was lost on his own for three days.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
People "jump ship" in ports. they "abandon ship" at sea, as here.

No, I have not "jumped ship", nor abandoned. Do you have any other details to give us? Such as why she was abandoned?

This boat looks intact and buoyant, with (apparently) intact rig and sails before coming alongside the cruise ship. but not afterward, obviously, she gets dismasted rolling her rig against the ship.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
These are videos of a medevac of one my crew from August of 2012. We were 1040 miles north of Hawaii.

From our perspective

From the container ship

This went smoothly. We were fortunate.

AMVER has a channel with videos https://www.youtube.com/user/Amver1958

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
People "jump ship" in ports. they "abandon ship" at sea, as here.

No, I have not "jumped ship", nor abandoned. Do you have any other details to give us? Such as why she was abandoned?

This boat looks intact and buoyant, with (apparently) intact rig and sails before coming alongside the cruise ship. but not afterward, obviously, she gets dismasted rolling her rig against the ship.
Uh-oh, yet another IMOCA RTW race boat having to be rescued at sea... :)

I believe I linked to this one way back in the thread about Doug Sabbag's rescue in the Atlantic a couple of summers ago...

That boat was the former SPIRIT OF CANADA, and represented one of the most heroic episodes ever in the annals of solo RTW racing, Derek Hatfield's recovery from a dismasting west of Cape Horn, making his way into Ushuaia, where he effected a repair, and finished the race...

How pathetic, that such a yacht should be abandoned for apparently no good reason, by someone who sounds like didn't deserve to have her in his care to begin with...

"Nature of distress reported was loss of sail, yachtsman exhausted not having eaten for two days and being afraid that yacht would start taking water."

"Dangerous When Wet", indeed... :)

BYM News Dangerous When Wet

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Wow 1000 miles from anywhere. Not the time to be having an emergency.
It was a medical condition that needed attention. We phoned the CG in Honolulu and has a conversation with the Flight Surgeon who suggested a medevac. AMVER and the RCC made the arrangements.

I am now somewhat "paranoid" about my health and the health of my crew.

I have developed a presentation on the medevac and AMVER. Next one is at the Vancouver Boat Show.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Uh-oh, yet another IMOCA RTW race boat having to be rescued at sea... :)

I believe I linked to this one way back in the thread about Doug Sabbag's rescue in the Atlantic a couple of summers ago...

That boat was the former SPIRIT OF CANADA, and represented one of the most heroic episodes ever in the annals of solo RTW racing, Derek Hatfield's recovery from a dismasting west of Cape Horn, making his way into Ushuaia, where he effected a repair, and finished the race...

How pathetic, that such a yacht should be abandoned for apparently no good reason, by someone who sounds like didn't deserve to have her in his care to begin with...

"Nature of distress reported was loss of sail, yachtsman exhausted not having eaten for two days and being afraid that yacht would start taking water."

"Dangerous When Wet", indeed... :)

BYM News Dangerous When Wet

Thanks for the link, Jon.

Might the boat's name have better described her owner??

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have jumped or abandonded ship. Was a power boat though so that does not count. I survived to answer your question. Down below in the coast guard boat was my first sea sickness experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts