SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
San Juan 24
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question on the forum!

I'm shoulder deep in my '77 San Juan 24 and there's some stuff that is gonna HAVE to be resealed.

For general deck hardware, Butyl Tape. I've read the instructions and can't wait to use it.

I had to redo chain webbing and need to reseal the chain plates. There is no extra fitting on the deck to smoosh butyl tape into place. What product would you use? Life-Calk? 4200?

I also have to re-caulk the windows themselves into their aluminum frames. What product would you use for that?

For prepping the chain plates in particular, what should I use for a prep product to ensure that it is as clean as I can get it?

-Chris

·
Senior Citizen
454 Posts
Chris -
This is how I did it:

Used a putty knife to carefully separate the frame from the cabin. I think they were bedded in butyl.
The plexi pushed out of the frame with no effort. The old gaskets fell apart.
Sanded the frame contact surfaces with 120 grit sandpaper.
Buffed the plexi faces by hand the with 1000 and 2000 grit Aqua Buff compound.
Sanded the faces of the plexi around the perimeter about 1/4 inch from the edges with 600 grit wet or dry.
Laid the frames on a flat hard surface.
Squirted a small bead of Dow 795 around the frame where the plexi seats.
Inserted the plexi into the frame.
Squirted another bead of 795 around the perimeter on the outside surface of the plexi.
Put weights on the plexi and waited for the 795 to dry. The 795 shrunk into a nice fillet.
Sanded the gel coat on the cabin sides where the frame seats with 120 grit sandpaper.
Squirted a bead of 4000 on the cabin side.
Screwed the frame in place.
I added more 795 around the perimeter of the plexi and formed about a 3/16 R fillet.
-CH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts