SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1977 31' Prout Quest. At some point in the last 20 years, the steering wheel was removed and it was retrofit with a rudder/tiller system. The tiller is aluminum and has the bar and shaft system. Not sure what the housing is made of. Recently, the tiller fell out of the rudder and what appeared to be some cup made out of now-ancient duct tape came out and the tiller slipped out. I am trying to sell this boat, and this is obviously a safety issue, so I want to make sure it gets put together right.

I am unclear if some sort of epoxy would be the best thing, or a pin set through it would be better. I figured the former, my boat guy, the latter. I will likely not be doing the work but there is some concern that since the tiller is aluminum, that with a pin, that it may weaken over time.

Thoughts? And thanks!

Vehicle Boat Speedboat Water transportation Boating

Water White Pipe

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
I "think" better photos are needed. I found your ad too and the photos there aren't much help. Good luck!

·
19,484 Posts
I would pin them..

Reactions: miatapaul
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.