2,546 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,843 Posts
Back on land, he said: "I'm a little dazed right now and I'm headed to the bar"

(Edit - Will post this on the original thread.)

Regards,
Brad

·
Swab
825 Posts
We met Ron at Manele Bay when we were there. He had just recently got the boat and didn't know the first thing about sailing. We helped him get his rig sorted out and showed him how to attach his halyards and run his sheets. He asked us about anchorages so we told him about Hale Lono. He was dodging the harbor master because he had overstayed so he took off for Molokai.

Nice guy; a typical outer island boat bum. He shared some venison with us that he had acquired from the local park ranger. Glad he is OK.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
Both masts were broken? It looked to me as if his single mast was fine. Why was he not sailing?
It looks like the bow sprit was broken. That may have made it difficult to support the mast. But, obviously, that reporter didn't understand what he was talking about.

In any case, it's great to have one of these sorts of stories with a happy ending. It sounds like the Navy is even going to tow his boat in for him.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Saw him interviewed on the national nooze last night.

Doesn't it sound odd that he was "there" but SAR couldn't find him? And that it took twelve days to stick a coat hangar in the radio and make some mayday calls?

Not that odd things don't happen at sea.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Well the guy who said "both masts was broken" was the guy's fishing Buddie. Not the reporter in the news cast I watched. Though it was not totally clear on some of the reports.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.