SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Ā· Registered
2,060 Posts
Reaction score
Providing raw water to a diesel engine on the hard (how I do it):

Collect these items in the cockpit:
- Charged garden hose with an adjustable valve for throttling flow (nozzle will work if careful)
- Five gallon bucket
- Temporary raw water supply hose of the proper ID to fit the raw water nipple on the pump and long enough to reach from the bucket sitting on the sole to the raw water nipple
- Tool to remove raw water hose from the nipple (screw driver or nut driver)

Remove the raw water hose from the pump nipple.
Fill the bucket in the cockpit with water from the garden hose.
Coil the temporary supply hose in the bucket making sure it fills with water.
Bring the working end of the hose below bucket level to start siphoning the water then put your finger over the outlet.
Carefully move the bucket and the hose onto the sole (make sure it is higher than the RW inlet...sit it on another bucket if necessary).
Attach the hose to the raw water pump inlet. Hose clamp probably not necessary.
Start the engine and check for flow.
Pull the garden hose into the boat and fill the bucket as necessary or adjust flow to match engine cooling flow.

Others may have other or modified methods.

Hope this helps.

Your failure to start is likely due to lack of prime since you had the fuel system open to replace filters. Your electric priming pump could be gummed up (but I doubt it). You can install a squeeze bulb in the line between tank and pump to assist in priming. I keep one permanently installed there...years ago before I installed it I had problems with priming but none since... it's SO much easier.

Ā· Registered
2,060 Posts
Reaction score
Turn on the electric fuel pump. Crack open the banjo fittings at each injector one at a time and collect the fizzing fuel (if air is in the line) at the fitting into an absorbent towel until he fizzing stops then torque the banjo fitting bolt back down. Repeat as needed if the engine doesn't start.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.