SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to get my engine (Westerbeke w-22) running again after having it sit for 5 years. I added fuel stabilizer and winterized the engine before I put it to bed long ago, but I'm wondering what are the minimum things I need to do to get it started without ruining everything.

The things I suspect I need to do are:
1. Drain fuel tank and fuel lines to get rid of old/crappy fuel.
2. Replace raw water impeller.
3. ?????
4. ?????

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
#1 = FEEL REALLY BAD, GUILTY, AND HUMILIATED FOR LEAVING IT SIT!!!

just saying... not that I really want you to feel bad :) Good luck!
Oh, I do feel guilty... It is keeping me up nights thinking about how to tackle the project. Now that I have fixed the rest of the boat, I can't avoid it any longer...

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you at least close the intake and protect it from the air or was it left "exposed" and again was it in dry storage or in the water
I didn't close the intake, but it has been in a dry shed for the entire time. I have turned the engine over by hand once or twice a month during that period just to make sure nothing seizes up, but I am not much of an engine guy (if I could I would throw the whole thing over and use it to anchor the boat, but I can't sail everywhere).

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on my westerbeke w-21 progress and more questions of course. I haven't gotten it running yet, but I think I'm pretty close.
I ended up doing the following:

*pumped all the fuel from the tank, rinsed it with fresh diesel and pumped it again before adding new, fresh fuel.

*replaced every hose in the cooling system, raw water impeller, zincs, and thermostat and gaskets. Several of the hoses were pretty soft and looked 'cracky', so I ordered $200 worth of hoses, thermostat for the motor and spent a good 6 hours getting everything installed. I can't imagine what that would have cost if I let a marina loose on that job.

*replaced both fuel filters

*changed engine oil twice

I finally finished putting everything back together yesterday afternoon and was excited to see what would happen. I hooked up the new battery in, turned the main power switch, and turned the key. It turned over readily and willingly so that is good, but I wasn't able to get it to catch and fire up.

I tried with and without glow plugs to no avail. I think I'm close but I have the following concerns that make me hesitant about continuing to crank on the thing:

1. Positive battery cable got HOT. Not warm, but if I had kept my finger on it, I would have been burned. This was after about 20-25 seconds of cranking. The last time I cranked it I saw a little wisp of smoke come from the positive side. I don't know what to make of it. Nothing has changed electrically on the boat, so maybe it always got hot before and I never noticed. Of course the engine rarely needed cranking more than a few seconds.

2. Raw water side not priming. I rerouted the raw water to a bucket just before the raw water strainer, and I'm not seeing it pull. I'm guessing that the impeller just needs to be re-primed, but I don't ever remember having to do that before.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks denise,
I just gave it a go again, and I rechecked the connections and one was a bit loose, once I tightened it up it didn't get as hot (less resistance?).

The Westerbeke has an electric fuel pump and should be self priming, but I'm no expert on these matters. The operator's manual states to turn the ignition to on and leave for 15-25 seconds before cranking. When I do, I can hear the pump turn on, but I don't know that it's actually working...

I'm hoping the raw water side just needs to be primed a bit before starting to pump.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, I tried the wd-40 in the intake and when I spray that in while cranking, the engine catches briefly. So does this mean that it is a fuel issue (ie. fuel not getting to the injectors?

I'm confident that the fuel is getting to the secondary filter after the electric fuel lift pump, but before the injection pump. How do I determine if fuel is getting past the injection pump?

thanks for all the help everyone.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
dfinitely fuel...make sure its getting to the injectors like previously mentioned
I guess it must be; I'm looking through the service manual though and there is nothing that talks about bleeding the fuel system since it has an electric fuel pump and is 'self-priming'.
I used to own a boat with a Yanmar 3GM30 and I recall bleeding that every time I changed fuel filters and sometimes for no particular reason I could tell. I got very good at bleeding the Yanmar, but not sure how to go about the Westerbeke.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Turn on the electric fuel pump. Crack open the banjo fittings at each injector one at a time and collect the fizzing fuel (if air is in the line) at the fitting into an absorbent towel until he fizzing stops then torque the banjo fitting bolt back down. Repeat as needed if the engine doesn't start.
Excellent, I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I want to give everyone a HUGE Thanks for all the help. Without everyone's help I would have given up and shelled out probably hundreds of dollars for a diesel tech. to make a house call and get it going. I owe everyone beers or beverage of choice.

I skipped out of work early today because I wanted to get to work on everyone's suggestions and within 10 minutes of arriving at the boat I had it started and it ran like it never skipped a beat. I ended up finding another banjo bolt on the low pressure side of the system and cracked that while the ignition was in the 'on' position (electric lift pump activates at that position). I closed it up once fuel spit out and then cranked the engine and it fired up right away, I didn't even have to pre-heat with the glow plugs (it is ~90 in the shed though).

The raw water pump picked up right away as well, it just need more rpms (as Maine Sail indicated)

Here's a link to a video with the sweet sound of the 'beast' running for the first time in 5 years...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.