SailNet Community banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, I tried the wd-40 in the intake and when I spray that in while cranking, the engine catches briefly. So does this mean that it is a fuel issue (ie. fuel not getting to the injectors?

I'm confident that the fuel is getting to the secondary filter after the electric fuel lift pump, but before the injection pump. How do I determine if fuel is getting past the injection pump?

thanks for all the help everyone.

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
dfinitely fuel...make sure its getting to the injectors like previously mentioned

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
dfinitely fuel...make sure its getting to the injectors like previously mentioned
I guess it must be; I'm looking through the service manual though and there is nothing that talks about bleeding the fuel system since it has an electric fuel pump and is 'self-priming'.
I used to own a boat with a Yanmar 3GM30 and I recall bleeding that every time I changed fuel filters and sometimes for no particular reason I could tell. I got very good at bleeding the Yanmar, but not sure how to go about the Westerbeke.

Registered
Corsair 24
Reaction score
no matter what they say you need to reprime especially after sitting that long...

I had a 2gm same deal anytime ANYTHING got touched on the fuel system you had to prime...(bleed)

while the electric pump helps its by no means a self bleeding system...that is darn near impossible

Registered
Reaction score
Turn on the electric fuel pump. Crack open the banjo fittings at each injector one at a time and collect the fizzing fuel (if air is in the line) at the fitting into an absorbent towel until he fizzing stops then torque the banjo fitting bolt back down. Repeat as needed if the engine doesn't start.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Turn on the electric fuel pump. Crack open the banjo fittings at each injector one at a time and collect the fizzing fuel (if air is in the line) at the fitting into an absorbent towel until he fizzing stops then torque the banjo fitting bolt back down. Repeat as needed if the engine doesn't start.
Excellent, I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I want to give everyone a HUGE Thanks for all the help. Without everyone's help I would have given up and shelled out probably hundreds of dollars for a diesel tech. to make a house call and get it going. I owe everyone beers or beverage of choice.

I skipped out of work early today because I wanted to get to work on everyone's suggestions and within 10 minutes of arriving at the boat I had it started and it ran like it never skipped a beat. I ended up finding another banjo bolt on the low pressure side of the system and cracked that while the ignition was in the 'on' position (electric lift pump activates at that position). I closed it up once fuel spit out and then cranked the engine and it fired up right away, I didn't even have to pre-heat with the glow plugs (it is ~90 in the shed though).

The raw water pump picked up right away as well, it just need more rpms (as Maine Sail indicated)

Here's a link to a video with the sweet sound of the 'beast' running for the first time in 5 years...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.