SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the best/favourite restoration and repair books available?

I've found a bunch online, but I can't decide which one I should get. I realize lots of book just cover one area, but are there any good ones that cover everything?

I'm looking for one that's easy to comprehend with lots of pictures........ you know like a children's book....lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
Don Casey's books are usually very useful and simple to read.

Nigel Calder's books are also very good.

Both authors have books on many different topics.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Some of the better books are:

Nigel Calder's Boat Owner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual
Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual

But, unless you have at least a passing familiarity with tools and how to use them and know a bit about electricity, plumbing, etc... these books won't be very useful.

If you know the difference between a phillips and a slotted screwdriver, you're probably 50% of the way there.

·
19,488 Posts
A great book for ideas for upgrades/refinements and beautifully illustrated is Bruce Bingham's "A Sailor's Sketchbook".

Also Ferenc Mate's "Finely Fitted Yacht".

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the better books are:

Nigel Calder's Boat Owner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual
Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual

But, unless you have at least a passing familiarity with tools and how to use them and know a bit about electricity, plumbing, etc... these books won't be very useful.

If you know the difference between a phillips and a slotted screwdriver, you're probably 50% of the way there.

50% of the way there......thats funny! If thats all I knew i don't think i would want to attempt much in terms of boat repair.

I'm not to worried about using tools, growing up on farm, building barns, fixing tractors etc. I've got a handle on the tools aspect, I'm just new to the whole sailboat repair/restoration game.

Thanks for the ideas I'll check those books out.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
You'd be surprised at how many people don't know the difference between the two.. :)

50% of the way there......thats funny! If thats all I knew i don't think i would want to attempt much in terms of boat repair.

I'm not to worried about using tools, growing up on farm, building barns, fixing tractors etc. I've got a handle on the tools aspect, I'm just new to the whole sailboat repair/restoration game.

Thanks for the ideas I'll check those books out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
As a birthday present I just got the newly revised "This Old Boat" 2d edition by Don Casey (McGrraw-Hill, c1991, c2009, 550 pp), and it would fit your bill.

Readable prose. Useful line drawings. Down-to-earth discussions. Some here on this forum might take issue with some of Casey's predispositions and prejudices (like the oversight of butyl rubber as a sealant, right Maine Sail?), but the book is pretty complete and brings up some commonsense strategies.

·
Registered
599 Posts
For structural issues you might have, the Gougeon Brothers / WEST System booklets are pretty good, even if you choose to use another brand of epoxy. Start with the "WEST SYSTEM User Manual & Product Guide" (which is free!)

02-970 Wooden Boat Restoration & Repair
002-550 Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance
002-650 Gelcoat Blisters: Diagnosis, Repair & Prevention
002-740 Final Fairing and Finishing
002-150 Vacuum Bagging Techniques

I like Don Casey's books too. If you don't have a boat yet (or even if you do), start with his "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat"

Nigel Calder's tome is a must-have for the systems aspects of your boat, and will help you understand how things work, but Casey's books (such as on electrical wiring) will give you more practical hands-on techniques.

"Wooden Boat Rennovation," by Jim Trefethen, obviously geared to wooden boats, but has a lot of general information applicable to any kind of boat.

For sails, "The Complete Guide to Sail Care & Repair" by Dan Neri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts