SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ... I admit I'm starting to go abit 'overboard' ...

I have too many projects for the interior of my Cal 28 and am still learning how to sail ... but at the same time am trying to clean her up and give doses of TLC so that I enjoy how she 'looks' ... (sort of like my old red '72 corvette 454)

soooo ... I'm trying to see what works to brighten up the aluminum casings around the ports (yes I will have to take them all apart and clean etc.) but before I consider changing out ... does anyone have any tips on making them sparkle once more - or is this an idea that is doomed?

As always ...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
honestly you can sand and polish em, they will look nice for a few months. then they will get dull again as aluminuim will do.

i would get em powder coated if you can take out the glass/plastic lens. they can make them look like anything including brass if you want

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
honestly you can sand and polish em, they will look nice for a few months. then they will get dull again as aluminuim will do.

i would get em powder coated if you can take out the glass/plastic lens. they can make them look like anything including brass if you want
scottyt

I never thought of that ... thanks

sounds like a plan to me

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
cal do you have or have access to a decent sized air compressor? if you do you might want to look at a small hopper sand blaster, and a home powder coat kit. then you bring one home, blast it with corn cob, walnut what ever you want that is a "softer" agent. then powder coat the one in the oven at home. it will take you longer than just driving them all to a shop but the cost will be lower. you will just do one or 2 a week and in a few months have great looking port for around 200 bucks
the powder setup will cost about 230 bucks, but when you are done you could sell it for around a 100 with out even trying, or more if you dont mind holding on to it for a little while. or save it and do the work for others and make some money at it.
imagine being able to take other peoples parts, blast em, then coat em for 50 bucks a part and 5 mins of work, then an hour of oven time

link to a small blaster
harbor frieght

here is decent powder coater machine
caswell plating

colors they have

1 - 4 of 4 Posts