SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Venture of Newport 23
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swing keel in knockdown:
In a knockdown isn't there a risk of the keel swinging up into retracted position?
How can I prevent that? It seems that if keel retracted then a knockdown would continue turning the boat upside down.
I think there are ways to lock keel down but if keel is locked down and boat hits something underwater the keel would not swing up to clear the obstacle. That's 5.5 feet draft on my boat, Venture of Newport 23.
Is there a way to prevent keel from retracting in a knockdown?
Bud
Chiquita
Venture of Newport 23 (swing keel trailer sailer)
Jan 12, 2021 Virginia

·
Barquito
3,642 Posts
Yes, that can be a problem. I know on the Catalina 22 there was a pin that tightened onto the keel to keep it down. A hard grounding in any boat can cause damage. For the C22, it would probably break the pin off. I can't remember if it was above the water line. You just need to avoid hitting the bottom hard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi, and welcome to SailNet! I did a little research, and it sounds like the VoN23 has a bolt to hold the swing keel down. As Barquito pointed out, that can be a problem in a grounding. More generally, wind won't roll your boat past 90 degrees, you need big waves for that. The VoN23 seems to be a light trailer sailor with a reputation for being tippy, and you really shouldn't be out in big waves in a boat like that.

·
Registered
Bristol 31.1 K/CB
16 Posts
I used to err on the side of caution and use the lockdown pin on my Mac 25. I neglected to remove it before raising the keel and bent the pin in a U, not to mention damaging the keel trunk.
After I learned my wind and waves, I used it only when I thought conditions might warrant it (which was never since I avoided taking such a light weight boat out on any but the fairest of days, and on inland waters (Narragansett Bay).

·
Captain Obvious
2,362 Posts
Well, my swing keel Catalina 22 had a stuck lock down bolt the day i bought it. I wondered if it would be a problem but nearly a decade later its fine. The knockdown never came, the keel just stays down even in rough water. I gradually forgot about it. The Catalina is slow, but its a pussycat and pretty stable so that is probably why I don't need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts