SailNet Community banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Thank you for all the smart advice on this! I just bought an old 30 foot Silverton Cabin Cruiser to keep at a mooring near me. The previous owner had a micro wave oven on board and I prefer a gas stove for cooking. So I went out and bought a new 2 burner propane camp stove expecting to just install my BBQ propane gas tank in the tall cabinet next to the stove. Well to my surprise I was totally ignorant of the whole gas leaking possibility. I figured that I would just shut off the gas valve on top of the tank like I always do with my outside BBQ? I figured that by turning the valve off there would be no chance of any leaks? Isn't that correct? If the Propane Gas Tank Valve is in the OFF position how can there be any chance of a gas leak with the small rubber hose and regulator which is attached directly to the stove? I'm baffled? Any comments on this? I'd appreciate any input.
Well assuming this is to be an "economy retreat" so I don't think building a proper propane storage locker is likely. Do not put a BBQ tank into the interior of the boat, as you will be preparing to make a bomb. Propane tanks leak, and I have had a few of the "exchange" tanks leak as well, showing empty after a week or so of getting them home. If you need to do it on the cheap, mount the tank off the aft of the boat and run a propane hose to the stove. I don't think the camping stove is likely going to have any safety features at all either. I suggest finding a proper marine stove with thermocouples on the burners. If you can't do that, then I suggest using one of the butane burners like they use in restaurants for table side cooking. At least the amount of gas in the little tank is unlikely to fill the whole boat.

Problem is that a safe proper propane install is likely as much as the boat is worth. But if you have to ask how a propane tank can leak, then perhaps you should not be doing the install, and should hire a ABYC certified installer.

·
Barquito
3,739 Posts
A typical installation without building a locker, is to hang the propane on the stern rail. If it leaks it goes down past the transom, not into the boat. If you don't cook much, you could just hang small bottles there, and when needed bring one into the cabin, and attach to the stove. Remove from the stove when done, and put back on the stern rail.

·
Registered
63 Posts
here's a link to a commercially made bag, which is similar to how I store my small canisters, out on my pushpit as was mentioned above

Magma Propane / Butane Canister Tote Bag / Storage Locker

For my stove, I have a 2 gal locker similar to this one:

edit: the amount of propane it holds lasts for quite awhile, the unit was virtually bolt-on and it's small and compact

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would use the vapor locker. Any surveyor worth his salt would require one, and it's just a good idea for safety's sake. Put a cushion on it and use it as a seat

·
Registered
24,760 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I've decided to find a safe place outside of the cabin to mount the Propane Tank. I do have a big Swim Platform. Not sure if I need to still use the Vapor Locker?
If you mount the tank so that any leak can only exit the boat (ie on the outside of your gunnel, such as the rail off your transom), you do not need a locker.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts