SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
I've wondered about this. How do you check this function? Mine has never shown a reverse polarity, but who knows what that shows?
These things are not rocket science. It's just a light and a resistor between the neutral and ground. Failure modes are loose connections and short circuits. False negatives are more likely than false positives. Still it can happen. More likely is bad wiring on the boat side than a failed indicator. Most likely is bad wiring on shore.

·
Old Guy
47 Posts
I got a reverse polarity indicator light go on when I plugged in at the marina. Unplugged from "our" outlet on the pedestal, and plugged into our neighbors outlets on the same pedestal and got no alarm. Plugged in to outlets on the pedestal for the slip across the dock, and got no alarm. Reported it to the dockmaster, and was told "We'll get around to it, go ahead and plug in across the dock."

·
Registered
393 Posts
I got a reverse polarity indicator light go on when I plugged in at the marina. Unplugged from "our" outlet on the pedestal, and plugged into our neighbors outlets on the same pedestal and got no alarm. Plugged in to outlets on the pedestal for the slip across the dock, and got no alarm. Reported it to the dockmaster, and was told "We'll get around to it, go ahead and plug in across the dock."
Hmmm. I don't think I'd want to stay at that marina. It's actually a serious matter. As in, could kill somebody. Pick up a receptacle tester for a few bucks

Just plug it in, it can show reversed polarity, open hot, open neutral, open ground. For a few bucks more you can get one that you can use to test GFCI receptacles.

BTW, this post/thread should be in Electrical Systems, not electric/hybrid propulsion.

·
19,485 Posts

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Hmmm. I don't think I'd want to stay at that marina. It's actually a serious matter. As in, could kill somebody. Pick up a receptacle tester for a few bucks

Just plug it in, it can show reversed polarity, open hot, open neutral, open ground. For a few bucks more you can get one that you can use to test GFCI receptacles.
The problem is this doesn't determine whether the problem is the boat or the dock wiring.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Doesn't show dockOR boat??
Mebbe it does? Seem a ta me that ya;
Unplug boat.plug tester into pylon. check idjit lites. . bad? yanno it's there.. If good; plug in boat and check recept on boat.

Thar yaggo! :D

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Doesn't show dockOR boat??
Mebbe it does? Seem a ta me that ya;
Unplug boat.plug tester into pylon. check idjit lites. . bad? yanno it's there.. If good; plug in boat and check recept on boat.

Thar yaggo! :D
Those testers are not twist-lock and will not plug into a proper shore power receptacle. They can only be used to check the outlets on the boat.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
Those testers are not twist-lock and will not plug into a proper shore power receptacle. They can only be used to check the outlets on the boat.
You can use an adapter between a 30A twist-lock to a 15A outlet and use those indicators.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.