SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to rewire my US Yacht 25 (1982). Have read up and down this forum, studied diagrams. Not an electrician, but have purchased (and read) the two boating electrical books most quoted here.

At the risk of beating an old horse to death, I will give an attempt at a wiring diagram. History: US Yacht 25. Wires going everywhere and to nowhere. + and - wires going across from each other on same bus.

9.9 OB motor. Have already rewired mast and replaced mast lights with LED's.

Without going into too much detail regarding wire size, just wondering if I have the basics right. Plan on having 2 batteries, and using the house as detailed by Mainsail et al as the full time start/house battery.

Thanks for your input.
Chris
Tri-Cities, Wa.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You Brian,

That was my next question. Would it be easier and less complicated to get a battery charger that monitors both batteries? Or go with an ACR?

I didn't want to get too detailed regarding wire size just yet. Just wanted to make sure I had the right idea.

I've been carefully collecting and using appropriate tools....wire cutter and crimper, heat gun. Just received a battery crimper. I have a wife, you should have seen her response to me purchasing a $180 tool. Have new Bus's, and a Blue Sea electrical panel. Still need a charger, and of course, appropriate sized wire and lugs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
If the outboard charges I would get an ACR. If you will be adding solar the ACR makes sense as well. If the AC charger will be the only method of charging most good marine chargers will charge at least 2 banks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok. Have built a battery box and rewired (using Main Sail's recommended tools and techniques) to 12B0 switch and then + and - busbars.

Question: I have a 10 bank Blue Sea electrical panel. However, I get confused (often). Esp. where it comes to wiring multiple circuits to the panel. The provided diagram recommends connecting + circuit wires to the panel. Should I also connect each - circuit wire to the electrical panel, or to the large - bus I have installed nearby. For the record, I ran the - bus on 4awg right after the battery.

Thanks again!
Chris
Chinook
US Yacht 25
Kennewick, Wa.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Brian. I just wanted to make sure wasn't missing something. The - bus has 20 #10's. I'm sure wiring the - to the - bus was obvious to most people, just not myself. And yes, it will definitely make things neater and less clutter behind the panel.

FYI. Wife and I are not too far from you. We're visiting Anacortes/Bellingham in two weeks. We're getting closer to retirement and looking for a new place to call home.

Thanks again,

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone on Sail.net and definitely Main Sail.

I completed a much needed rewiring, starting with a new battery box (old one was plastic and had too much freedom of movement!). While I was in epoxy mode, added a bulkhead and gained some new storage space.

Floor Room Technology Flooring Electronic device

Electronics Technology Electronic device Room Gadget

As you can see, the wiring wasn't exactly to the ABYC Standards. Wire nuts. Some wires leading to nowhere. Even bus's with both positive and negative wires on the same terminal. Automotive battery lugs and cable. I'll stop here, but there were a few more surprises along the way.

Electrical wiring Electronics Cable management Electrical network Wire

Wire Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Technology

Electrical wiring Cable management Wire Electronics Electrical network

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't thank Main Sail enough for his knowledge, and illustrations on how to do things the right way. Now I have some new skills, and several new tools (the right ones, at that).

Wood

Vehicle Plywood

Wire Tire Electrical wiring Automotive tire Auto part

Tried my best to get it right. Have a 30 amp breaker right after the battery, and again after the +bus leading to the OB motor. 4 ga cable runs from the battery thru the + bus, to the panel, and again 4 ga to the neg bus and back to the battery.

Table Furniture Coffee table Wood Desk

Musical instrument Traditional japanese musical instruments Ammunition belt Plucked string instruments Electronic instrument

This was a major project (for me, anyway). Now on to the fun...installing the stereo.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Congrats! Last spring/summer I tackled the engine side of the boat wiring. It was fun and no where near as complicated as commercial AC and heat units. NOT to mention the voltages are much lower and somewhat safer. :D

Back of my engine panel "before"

"After"

Panel. still a little scary on the back side but better then it was. Most all the battery cable crimped connectors were "pull off with hand" loose.

Reactions: budvar and SHNOOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember your project, Denise. Also the comment by another person...."12V won't kill you, unless you deserve it".

Great pictures! HVAC I couldn't do. I'm a nurse. However, very proud of my new 12 v marine skills.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok. Have built a battery box and rewired (using Main Sail's recommended tools and techniques) to 12B0 switch and then + and - busbars.

Question: I have a 10 bank Blue Sea electrical panel. However, I get confused (often). Esp. where it comes to wiring multiple circuits to the panel. The provided diagram recommends connecting + circuit wires to the panel. Should I also connect each - circuit wire to the electrical panel, or to the large - bus I have installed nearby. For the record, I ran the - bus on 4awg right after the battery.

Thanks again!
Chris
Chinook
US Yacht 25
Kennewick, Wa.
for reference out of the fuse panel the fuse is to protect the wire 10 AWG-30A then fuse for the device. return neg(-) to (-)neg buss. the length of run is the total of both pos + neg(for voltage drop)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts