SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering using a rhino type liner instead of paint on my deck, has anyone done this? There is a brand called Durabak that looks real good. They have many colors. I will use white ofcourse.
Any comments on this?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a friend who Rhino lined his Aluminum flat (South Louisiana) that he used to fish in the Atchafalaya Basin. It added more weight that he wanted and when he went out on a normal summer's day - within an hour or so, the dark rubbery material was so HOT that he had to stand for the rest of the trip.

I have also seen it on one fiber glass open fisherman in the off-white color - not sure what brand the liner was. It was nice for a while, the corners and edges (not even that sharp) started to peel or chunk off after a year.

Sorry I don't have a better report, but the two instances were not favorable.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I haven't seen it on a boat but I did see an entire Dodge 4x4 long bed truck done in black Rhino-lining. I bet it got really hot in the Texas summer sun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
KiwiGrip

No It does not feel rubbery...its water based and dries hard. with a very nice texture that is easy to do...you can even get it tinted to your desired color at Home Depot if you like...they have a nice website..

·
Registered
75 Posts
A friend of mine does this professionally for truck liners, this is what he had to say:
. . . for this type of application you need to go to a Rhino Linings Dealer that is mobil. That is a completely different situation then what we do here in our commercial building in a controlled atmosphere with a booth. My friend is mobil and I have heard all about the overspray nightmares and more. For now, we have sprayed already over 250 units in about 2.5 years of our new business. So far so good but a very tricky polyurethane product with limitations with humidity, weather and adhesion being key # 1 of course like all coatings.
Good luck, let us know about it.

·
Junior Senior
247 Posts
I redid my non-skid with Durabak a couple of years ago

It went on easily, covered imperfections well, and has great non-skid properties. But now that I have lived with it a few years I think I would use Kiwigrip instead.

The trouble with the Durabak is that it attracts dirt and is almost impossible to get completely clean. I can live with a little dirt on the tan surface, but the white I used on the cockpit sole and on the pop-top have turned a very ugly dirty grey. No amount of cleaning will bring them back. I painted over the pop-top with white polyurethane (not the best idea) and covered the cockpit sole with a grate.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hienzer, What is the texture of the durabak feel like? Is it rubbery like a bed liner is and just how dirty does the tan really look? There are some up close pics of white durabak that look real nasty on the link that Capt Dave posted above, I wanted white but wont take it that dirty though. The tan looks good on your boat just wonderin if the colored durabak wont take to the dingy look as the white.

·
Junior Senior
247 Posts
The picture was taken when it was brand new. The tan does not attract dirt nearly as much as the white but it never looks as though it is completely clean, even after a hard scrubbing. Some areas will look fairly clean, and other sections look like they have a "5 o'clock shadow."

The texture is hard, not rubbery, but is a little gritty. IFIRC, the grit is actually ground up rubber particles. It keeps your feet attached to the boat as if they had suction cups. It is not uncomfortable to sit on but is hard on bare skin when brand new, until the particles wear/flatten down a bit.

I am very happy with the texture, feel, and grip. My only complaints are with the difficulty of keeping it clean and the slight tendency of the edges to chip.

The tan is ok but I would never use the white on anything again.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Based on comments and pictures I think I'll be using Kiwigrip on my boat when I redo the non-skid next spring. I have heard only good about it from ease of use to results.
Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts