SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
old guy :)
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy

we are on a mooring at Dutch Harbour Boatyard en route Maine and Canada. 34 foot Irwin Citation 34 - 4 foot draft. 2008 cruising guide said $35.00 for a mooring - dockmaster wanted $50.00 Hurts the old cruising kitty.

The weather sucks and we want an anchorage for tomorrow night close by. We battled 15 knot winds on the nose and 5 foot seas to get here. Need a day to get healthy. Friday we want to go to Red Brook Harbour up towards the CC Canal.

Suggestions?

Or - somebody have a mooring we can borrow?

Rik and Linda
Mystery
Irwin Citation 34
trip blog at: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/ic34_mystery/a
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
the only anchorage I can think of immediately enroute would be Cuttyhunk about 3 hrs east of you at the entrance to Buzzards Bay - lots of moorings but you can also anchor there in a quiet harbor.
 

·
Telstar 28
Joined
·
993 Posts
Why can't you just anchor out there. Dutch Island Harbor has fairly good holding IIRC. What kind of anchor do you have on Mystery?? Cuttyhunk's a good anchorage and fairly sheltered, but a bit of a slog for you if you're needing to rest up.



The winds are supposed to shift to the North or Northeast and where you are now sucks in a northerly wind. I'd highly recommend you head over to Wickford, which should be a relatively short trip and offers a very protected anchorage. It is only about 6 NM northwest of you, on the western shore of the west channel.

coastal waters from montauk ny to block island ri to marthasvineyard ma to nantucket ma southeast to 20 nm-428 pm edt wed may 27 2009


.tonight...s winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming e late. seas 2 to 3 ft.
a slight chance of rain until just after midnight... then a
chance of rain late. patchy fog late. vsby 1 to 3 nm late.

.thu...ne winds 10 to 15 kt. seas 4 to 6 ft. a chance of rain
with areas of drizzle in the morning...then areas of drizzle in
the afternoon. patchy fog in the morning with vsby 1 to 3 nm.

.thu night...ne winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming e 5 to 10 kt after
midnight. seas 4 to 6 ft. areas of drizzle.

.fri...e winds around 10 kt...becoming s in the afternoon. seas
3 to 5 ft. a chance of showers in the morning... then a chance of
showers and tstms in the afternoon.

.fri night...sw winds around 15 kt...becoming w after midnight.
gusts up to 20 kt. seas 4 to 5 ft. a chance of showers and tstms
in the evening...then a chance of showers after midnight.

.sat...w winds around 10 kt...becoming sw in the afternoon. seas
3 to 5 ft.

.sat night...sw winds 10 to 15 kt. seas 3 to 5 ft.

.sun...sw winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt...becoming w
after midnight. seas 3 to 5 ft.

.mon...sw winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. seas 3 to
5 ft.

winds and seas higher in and near tstms.
As for trying to make Redbrook Harbor on Friday, you're probably better off waiting a bit...since Friday is supposed to be easterly winds... and makes getting there a beat... Friday night and Saturday will be Westerly and Southwesterly winds, which makes getting to Red Brook Harbor much simpler.

I'd point out that trying to make the Cape Cod Canal with the winds from the South to the west can be rather challenging. :)

BTW, I'll be down in Fairhaven/New Bedford tomorrow and Friday morning, as well as probably most of Saturday and Sunday, so if you're around, I'd love to meet up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
There are also 2 FREE Town moorings inside the breakwater in SD's picture but I'm not sure about the availibilty or even if they pull them and when they would replace them :eek: As SD mentioned anchoring is a possibilityj there also.

There is also a little cove that I used to anchor in before I moved down to Wickford just a little ways south (maybe a mile) of Wickford. If you do try that cove you can pick your way in between the the rocks and the tiny little island or better/safer to head North of it and pull a U-Turn around that island into the cove.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top