SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one come up for sale recently, and kinda like the look. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them and would like opinions. My sailing is inland lakes, and trailerability is a factor.
Thanks.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Barquito
3,567 Posts
They have a lot of fans. I looked at one on my hometown lake a long time ago. Before I decided if I wanted to make an offer someone bought it at asking sight-unseen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I daysailed one on San Francisco Bay years ago. It performed well on that windy day and felt secure in the waves.
Small cuddy cabin was nice but would be cramped for an overnighter.
As an inland sailboat, it would be awesome as a starter boat.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Some acquaintances of mine have one. The owners before them sailed it all over Lake Superior, so it can handle some weather. It's quite a nice pocket cruiser for a couple, assuming you're on friendly terms :)

They had a lot of problems with the furling main. I wonder why a 22' boat needs a furling main in the first place... Another issue was that it didn't have a vang, because the pop top was in the way.

Here's a review: The Rhodes 22 Reviewed

·
Barquito
3,567 Posts
The most striking thing, to me, about the boat is the flare of the hull near the bow. Should keep the boat pretty dry.

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
I don't think it would be quite as easy to trailer launch as some of the boats where the keel fully retract into the hull like a potter 19 and San Juan 21. No big deal I guess if you have anice steep ramp, but I know a 2 foot draft would be a deal breaker on some of the gravel ramps around here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny you mention the SJ21... That's my current boat! The Admiral would like a bit more room below.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
One foot-itis will ruin your sailing fun skills4lou . Move up to a 24 or 25 foot boat to make the change worthwhile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts