SailNet Community banner

How many years of use do you get from your Dinghy?

• 2-3 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 5-7 years

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 7-9 years

• 9-11 years

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 11-13 years

• 13-15 years

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 15-17 years

• 17-19 years

• More than 2 decades!

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Navisafe lights work great for me.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I have a way too heavy 4 stroke 8hp for the 10' alum RIB. I can plane but rarely need to do it for the distances I use the boat. I would be fine with a 6hp... I have the Garhauer lifting hoist so it's not terrible getting in on and off the dink. I would like to have a small electric with a solar panel which would do most of the coming and going between boat and dock.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
A TUG Locker 9 is on order. I will see if I need to upgrade from my Mercury 3.3 (I doubt it) after I get it in the water.

I have a friend with a Walker Bay 11' inflatable with a high pressure floor. He's a big guy (at least 230lbs). He just bought a new-to-him Mercury 3.3 and we tried it on his dinghy yesterday (inaugural splash). It worked fine!

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
And two days after the order was placed, I received an email from Bixler's Marine telling me that "We are presently sold out of all of our TUG inventory. We won't be restocking until later this year or early next year."

·
bell ringer
4,802 Posts
That does not seen right. Only $1000 difference.

But I would get a PVC if in the NE doing the sailing routine there. I have a PVC now I got in Florida after my Coastral blew apart, but I made chaps for it and expect that to be a big plus.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
A TUG Locker 9 is on order. I will see if I need to upgrade from my Mercury 3.3 (I doubt it) after I get it in the water.

I have a friend with a Walker Bay 11' inflatable with a high pressure floor. He's a big guy (at least 230lbs). He just bought a new-to-him Mercury 3.3 and we tried it on his dinghy yesterday (inaugural splash). It worked fine!
There is no doubt the 3.3 will push the dinghy along. I barely open the throttle on my 9.9 to shuttle to the dinghy dock, via a no wake zone. The 3.3 might just need a bit more twist, but will move the dink. Getting somewhere fast is likely another story.

Sorry to hear about the inventory problem. Frustrating, I'm sure.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
There is no doubt the 3.3 will push the dinghy along. I barely open the throttle on my 9.9 to shuttle to the dinghy dock, via a no wake zone. The 3.3 might just need a bit more twist, but will move the dink. Getting somewhere fast is likely another story.

Sorry to hear about the inventory problem. Frustrating, I'm sure.
None of the local dealers have what I want... Except the AB at Defender... But, $4700 is NOT happening.

·
12,139 Posts
You know what I really dislike about pretty much all small dingy/tenders... No navigation lighting. Not until you get to a console type tender do they consider them probably because they have to. I despise the fact none of the manufacturers offer even an option for even a battery operated LED bow and stern light...

There... How's that for thread drift? Ha
Drift away....I agree. You are forced to attach a stern pole to the transom and a stick on r/g on the bow

·
bell ringer
4,802 Posts
Then you get something much less expensive, even if used, and just take you chances and replace more often. It is pretty much a given that a "better" "higher quality" "much more expensive" dink may not last longer. The ony part that is a given is that it is "much more expensive".

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Then you get something much less expensive, even if used, and just take you chances and replace more often. It is pretty much a given that a "better" "higher quality" "much more expensive" dink may not last longer. The ony part that is a given is that it is "much more expensive".
<sigh> Patch & pump regularly is my plan B. Hopefully, if the pandemic ever subsides, there will be a boat show that I can attend and buy a RIB in the next year.

I suspect that dealer inventory is low because of the current political conflict is impacting trade between the US and China.

I had also looked into Inmar inflatables (formerly JP Marine), which are made in the US, but their reputation is horrible.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
<sigh> Patch & pump regularly is my plan B. Hopefully, if the pandemic ever subsides, there will be a boat show that I can attend and buy a RIB in the next year.

I suspect that dealer inventory is low because of the current political conflict is impacting trade between the US and China.

I had also looked into Inmar inflatables (formerly JP Marine), which are made in the US, but their reputation is horrible.
You're probably correct and no one was replenishing inventory for a industry struggling to get into first gear. Keep looking. Consider the Locker 10... these are really nice and well made boats.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Have you given Maritime Solutions a call? They carry a half dozen different brands.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Have you given Maritime Solutions a call? They carry a half dozen different brands.
That is the company to which I was trying to obliquely refer in post 37.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
Miles is not the easiest fellow to deal with.
I bought my AB from the owner, Dave, at the New England boat show. He's a little dry, but certainly didn't have any trouble.

I had to go back to look at E's post #37, which only said they didn't have the TUG and he preferred the Highfield. Not the worst advice, I've heard many that like Highfields. Sounds like they cost more, but I doubt the dealer makes notably more. The issue sounds like the dealers can't get the TUGs. China did shut down, just like we did. Some say more aggressively. No idea if that affected their factory.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I bought my AB from the owner, Dave, at the New England boat show. He's a little dry, but certainly didn't have any trouble.

I had to go back to look at E's post #37, which only said they didn't have the TUG and he preferred the Highfield. Not the worst advice, I've heard many that like Highfields. Sounds like they cost more, but I doubt the dealer makes notably more. The issue sounds like the dealers can't get the TUGs. China did shut down, just like we did. Some say more aggressively. No idea if that affected their factory.
I bought the Highfield from them and the paint came off. They know it. And then when I wanted an alum hull with no paint they sold me the Tug. I was back there too many times to not know what they are like. I won't go into more detail.

·
Gybing in 3,2,1.....
17 Posts
.....I had also looked into Inmar inflatables (formerly JP Marine), which are made in the US, but their reputation is horrible.
I read the same reviews and bought an aluminum bottomed RIB from them anyways on clearance about a year ago. Less than $2K for the 8'6" model in Orca Hypalon (215). Maybe I'm just lucky, but I couldn't be happier. Time will tell, as always.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I read the same reviews and bought an aluminum bottomed RIB from them anyways on clearance about a year ago. Less than $2K for the 8'6" model in Orca Hypalon (215). Maybe I'm just lucky, but I couldn't be happier. Time will tell, as always.
I've had very good luck with my Inmar PVC inflatable bottom dinghy. It was an impulse buy at the 2017 boat show (end of season), about $600. I had never heard of Inmar so didn't see any reviews. All I knew is that it had real nice design features like padded aluminum bench seats (two of them, impressive for a 9' dinghy) and lots of well-placed handles and towing/lifting points.

I'm in my third season of actual use (no use in 2017). My sacrificial boat cover (purchased directly from Inmar) had to be replaced a couple weeks ago, but that's the purpose of a cover. The boat that's under it is still almost pristine. Adhesive joints seem to be holding well everywhere. It does not get the kind of use/abuse a tropical cruiser would give it, but it still sits on the davits (under the cover) from April-October, so is subjected to secondary reflected sunlight, thermal cycling, and stressing at the lifting points.

I had assumed that it was made in China, but from the HIN (IMG2..., no CN- prefix) it appears that it is US made (almost certainly from Asian materials).

Reactions: eherlihy
61 - 80 of 86 Posts