SailNet Community banner

How many years of use do you get from your Dinghy?

• 2-3 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 5-7 years

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 7-9 years

• 9-11 years

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 11-13 years

• 13-15 years

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 15-17 years

• 17-19 years

• More than 2 decades!

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Gybing in 3,2,1.....
17 Posts
Oops, CORRECTION:
I was incorrect regarding the Orca Hypalon type for the Inmar 260R-AL... it's not 215, but 820.

·
Emmalina
31 Posts
I would think any over inflation issues would be more prevalent in temperate climates than tropics. Temperature swings are the problem, and the tropics stay pretty constant. Once inflated in full tropic sun, they pretty much stay that way without large pressure differentials. Even if inflated in shade, the temperature swing in the sun is only 5F or so. Temperate climates could have one inflating in 70F and seeing 100F in the sun.

Besides, the majority of people I see have under-inflated dinghies. Many seem to think they should be more like cushions rather than solids.

Mark
I live in the tropics and my dink goes from soggy in the morning to rock hard in the afternoon sun ! Air temperature in the chambers varies greatly !

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I live in the tropics and my dink goes from soggy in the morning to rock hard in the afternoon sun ! Air temperature in the chambers varies greatly !
Where we are, it is 80F at night and 90F during the day. Ours goes from slightly springy to rock hard in the afternoon sun, but we never need to let out or put in air to compensate. I just realized that we inflated ours when we first got it 3yrs ago, and have never added or subtracted air since. I should probably figure out where I put that pump...

Mark

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
I suspect direct sunlight affects the temp of the tubes and therefore the pressure, not just air temps.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts