SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we have had the roller furling headsail off, on and off again, on again during this past hurricane system, I'm wondering how to correctly tension the halyard on our Crealock 37. An older discussion referenced a tuning guide, but that link seems to have expired (?). Forgive the novice question, but...I AM !! Thanks for any pointers.

Ellen
s/v Shibumi
Crealock 37 #7

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Since we have had the roller furling headsail off, on and off again, on again during this past hurricane system, I'm wondering how to correctly tension the halyard on our Crealock 37. An older discussion referenced a tuning guide, but that link seems to have expired (?). Forgive the novice question, but...I AM !! Thanks for any pointers.

Ellen
s/v Shibumi
Crealock 37 #7
Ellen, Are you sure you mean "halyard"?
If so, you really don't need to tension the halyard much more that to get the luff of the sail tight. IE remove the wrinkles.
Actually, some systems like the older Harkens don't like a lot of halyard tension. Excess tension really only serves to wear out the bearings faster while accomplishing nothing.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Ellen
s/v Shibumi
Crealock 37 #7
Ellen:
There is an article by Don Kohlmann on tuning rigs on deck stepped PSC 34/37s on the Cruising Yachts Inc website. Here is a link.

HTH

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank-you! Very informative, but will take a bit of digesting, on my part. Can't wait to get down to the boat to check it out! With luck, my husband will not sent me back up the mast, as my fingernail marks are still there from my last visit aloft.

Ellen

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
It is a ProFurl.

Ellen, If your halyard doesn't run back to the cockpit, all you really need to do is haul the sail up, take a few turns around the winch and pull as hard as you can without a handle. Then, assuming everything is working right and the sail is all the way up, use the handle and take up a few more inches. That should be fine. Keep an eye on the tack shackle on top of the furling drum. If you see it get loose enough to move after a sail or two, just take up a little more on the winch.
Remember, you just need the halyard Or luff, tight enough to work. The headstay tension itself is what keeps the sail from deflecting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last time out, I really leaned on the winch and got ALL the wrinkles out, and left it that way, so I doubt it's too loose - can it be too tight -am wondering if I overdid it. I thunk I might know how to test it...And that will get me out of Christmas shopping and out on the water! How sweet is that?
Thanks, Guys!
Ellen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts