SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the old girl was originally rigged with a club foot. The original horse and pad-eyes port and starboard are still there, but that's all - and for some obscure reason it seems either a full deck plan was never drawn up or it went missing 50-something years ago...

I'm having a #3 heavy weather jib made (it seems all our races are now being held in 20-25kts) and, on seeing the sail plan, the sailmaker asked if I'd ever considered re-instating the jib-boom.

Anyone got any good info or experiences to share on how best to set up and use a simple-as-possible jib boom?

Thanks, C

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you have the original hardware or do you need to purchase it all and reinstall?
All I've got is the horse and two pad-eyes in the right spot for the sheet leads aft.. and an ancient topsail jackyard that's about the right size after I lop the ends off, sand and varnish. That's it. Nothing else. Nada.

One thing that is currently confusing me is why most jib booms aren't attached at the tack, but are instead some obscure distance aft. Is there any particular reason you wouldn't want the boom attached to the tack?? I'm wanting to avoid installing a jib crane of some sort if at all possible, given I normally use a genoa and would like to keep the foredeck clear(er) of obstacles wherever possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.