·
Registered
1,036 Posts

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's called ratline, It's normally rigged on the shrouds, most boats
have only one baby stay. (stays is for and aft staying)

Stole this picture from here Ratline Rigging

You should be able to Google for ratlines and find more details.
https://www.google.no/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ratlines

thank you. It really does help knowing the proper name for them. I had also heard the term stay attached to my two side standing rigging lines per side that go 1/3 of the way up the mast.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
thank you. It really does help knowing the proper name for them.
:)
I had also heard the term stay attached to my two side standing rigging lines per side that go 1/3 of the way up the mast.
Stays are always for/aft support of the mast.
Sideways support is shrouds
found this at The Complexity of Sailboat Rigging Made Simple

Google is your friend https://www.google.com/search?q=shr...MKTnyQPFgoGQBw&ved=0CGkQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1017

If you have more spreaders you have even more parts to name :)

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:)

If you have more spreaders you have even more parts to name :)
keeping track of all of the names for everything on my boat is harder then remembering compound names in chemistry. my foremast has two spreaders, my aft has one. then I have numerous sails, some of those I have not memorized the name. I just learned that my spinnaker is not, its a gennaker. then my genoa overlaps the foremast, where my jib does not. Then you have to take personal preference into account, two people may call the same thing two different names. There are not enough level headed Bermuda rigged schooners on the planet to have a diagram made up :p

Right now we have no fisherman sail, thou I made have one made up for light air :) and the coolness factor.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You should convert one of your mains to a gaff rig, then you will have even more cool sails to name.
Sounds like a fun boat.
John

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should convert one of your mains to a gaff rig, then you will have even more cool sails to name.
Sounds like a fun boat.
John
I don't need a gaff with a fisherman. the fisherman will give me more sail area.
Yes, its fun having something different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts