SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on my first long trip in my boat for the whole 4th of July weekend, and I bought myself an 8 foot inflatable dinghy. I want to keep it on the foredeck inflated, but the problem is what I think is called a baby stay is in the way. It is easily disconnected. Question is, how important is it, what does it really do/adjust?

Thanks!

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Depends on the boat. If it is indeed a baby stay rather than an inner stay that is designed to be removed it has a pretty important role in keeping your mast in column at certain points of sail. i would be reluctant to remove it unless I knew it was OK

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
In my experience many manufacturers just go about sticking extra chain plates and stays for no good reason. Take them all off and walk around the deck unfettered! BWAAAA!

Of course a baby stay is important! I've one on my boat and wouldn't sail without it any more than I'd remove the back-stay cause I bump my head on it occasionally.

Enjoy your boat, your dinghy and your trip...but please don't remove your baby stay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my experience many manufacturers just go about sticking extra chain plates and stays for no good reason. Take them all off and walk around the deck unfettered! BWAAAA!

Of course a baby stay is important! I've one on my boat and wouldn't sail without it any more than I'd remove the back-stay cause I bump my head on it occasionally.

Enjoy your boat, your dinghy and your trip...but please don't remove your baby stay.
Ok I agree with you 100%, but why is it adjustable with quick releases like a halyard?. When do you tighten/loosen it? It's a tartan 31

1 - 4 of 4 Posts