SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got new standing rigging as of two years ago... There is already a little bit of discoloration (rust?) at the point where the wire rigging enters the swaged on parts. Hopefully I'm saying that right. Is this normal? Is there an appropriate way to protect against this? Tape/silicon or something?
Thanks.

·
Hinterhoeller HR28
163 Posts
If you're in salt, that might be expected, particularly on the lower terminations, and especially if the wire is type 304. In salt, Type 316 will be less prone to corrosion, and is preferred. There is no reasonable way to add sealer at the swage.

Some salties use swages on the upper terminals (which drain), and mechanical terminations such as sta-lock at the bottom, so they can drain, and can do field maintenance as needed.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The amount of discoloration (rust) is important. If the amount increases, the wires might giive up from those points. Make sure to monitor the situation continiously and change the rigging if the amount of rust increases.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Is this normal?
Yes

Is there an appropriate way to protect against this? Tape/silicon or something?
Thanks.
If you would thoroughly rinse the wire above the lower swage with fresh water and they dry it with a heat gun or torch, you can then melt some beeswax into the wire just above the fitting. About 12". Work slowly and carefully so as not to heat the fitting up too much. Just a little bit hotter than you can touch. Let the wax pool at the top of the fitting.
This really is best done when the rigging is brand new, but you don't have anything to lose doing it now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. If I get the chance I might try the beeswax idea. BTW, the boat is in salt water, and the discoloration is mostly at the lower shroud fittings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts