SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rigging knife is a must on any boat . I'm a bit of a collector , This baby is my Myerchin . Hope you like it , lets see yours please .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one of those mini marlinspikes. The tip was too blunt to get into tight knots, but I was able to file it into a better shape and now it's a pretty handy tool around the boat.

That's a nice looking knife but a too pointy. A good rigging/yachting knife has the profile of a small meat cleaver, with a blunt "point" that won't poke people or things on a moving boat.

To answer your question; this is what I use:

http://i45.tinypic.com/28i15zr.jpg

I actually carry it as my pocket knife. The marlinspike is too small and sharp to be useful for anything other than cleaning my fingernails but the blade is great. It holds an edge surprisingly well and the knife was dirt cheap so I'm not afraid to abuse it.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
This is what I carry

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
I used to have an old school spike, etc. I've carried one of these inexpensive Leatherman knives for the last 5 years (not multi-tool). Never too worried about losing it, I think I paid about 30 bucks, although, they are a bit more now. It has a serrated blade, which opens with one hand and is razor sharp, plus a regular and phillips screw driver and a bottle opener! I use the screwdrivers all the time, the spike was pretty infrequent. Not going back.

Crater c33Tx - Leatherman Knives

·
Registered
739 Posts
My favorite boat knife and for around the house is the blue Victorinox Swiss Army knife. Serrated blade, flat blunt marlin spike with a shackle key, Philips and two flat head screw drivers, can opener, bottle opener, and more. And relatively cheap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got a Myerchin Gen 2 titanium. I love it and use it all the time. I like that it has an integrated clip that sits securely in your pocket without needing a separate shealth/case for the belt. The opening and closing with one hand is also really nice to have because it seems like when I need it, my other hand is engaged in a struggle with whatever I need it for.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I carry the stainless version of the Myerchin. It has a sheep's foot tip, not a sharp point. Same scabbard and marlin spike. Great knife.

Skywalker

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
My preference is a SWAT-tactical folding Smith & Wesson knife. Although it has a Stainless Steel blade its a grade of stainless that can 'hold a sharp edge'. I sharpen with 'waterstones' down to 8000 grit - for sharpness equivalent to a straight edge razor.
Most of the stainless bladed 'rigging knives' simply cant hold a very sharp edge.
Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson SWATM Swat Medium Assisted Opening Knife: Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31e%[email protected]@[email protected]@31e%2BVKzPZML

·
Registered
830 Posts
I also use the Victorinox (Equinox?) Mariner. I also. have . cheap knock-off Myerchin for the decent marlinspike within. The elongated, flat spike on the SAK is not good at shifting tight knots or spreading twisted ropes well; but does have a good shackle "key" . THe blade's half-serrations pretty much guarantee I'll. cut thru anything at one go and the blade is * sharp*! damhik :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I carry a BRITISH ARMY KNIFE its made in Sheffield England. I don't know why the british army would need a marlin spike but it's got one. I really try to NOT buy chinese made crap, too much of our money going there without me adding to it. I looked at Meyerchin but made in china not for me.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Carrying a knife/marlin spike is always wise but not always done. Accordingly, on our boat and many we have sailed aboard, we have several knives affixed in sheaths at strategic locations about the boat. One in the cockpit affixed to the binnacle; one at the mast affixed to the vang strut; and, one at the bow, affixed to the bow pulpit. When needed they are really needed and they are there, ready to be grabbed. The cobalt and/or ceramic knives never dull and never corrode. Not inexpensive, I grant you, but worth it when needed.

FWIW...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm not a fan of the ceramics, they break too easily when loaded laterally. I find that even if I'm careful I'm still too ham-fisted to count on it.

My go-to fixed knife is a Mora:
Amazon.com : Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife with Sandvik Carbon Steel Blade, Military Green, 4.1-Inch : Hunting Fixed Blade Knives : Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@31RSOV7Bn4L

They come in a variety of colors but they're all basically the same design. I prefer the carbon steel blade, which holds a great edge but stains easily. If that bugs you, they make them in stainless too. They're cheap too, $10-$15, so you can spread them around the boat.

I've been playing with this folder:
Amazon.com : Camillus Carbonitride Titanium Folding Knife with G10 Handle and Marlin Spike, 6.5-Inch : Folding Camping Knives : Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41wsGGpIiqL

The marlinspike is finely tapered and locks open, both of which are nice features. It's too new to tell how well it'll hold up but so far so good.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Still loving this one after several years. Instant access, great retention, never rusts, and affordable. What's not to like?

It's a Wenoka "Squeeze" Lock Titanium Knife, Tanto Tip

More on this thread:
Sailnet thread on knives

MedSailor

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been playing with this folder:
Amazon.com : Camillus Carbonitride Titanium Folding Knife with G10 Handle and Marlin Spike, 6.5-Inch : Folding Camping Knives : Sports & Outdoors

The marlinspike is finely tapered and locks open, both of which are nice features. It's too new to tell how well it'll hold up but so far so good.
I have a Camillus that is similar to this one, but with a serrated section of the blade. I've had it for at least 15 years now and it is bomber. Beautiful knife.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts