SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts

Kyocera ceramic paring knife stays sharp even when you cut tons of dyneema with it.

The "fid" there is a piece of 2.5mm wire rod rigging (a 2mm/14ga bicycle spoke would work too) that has had the ends rounded over. This is a lot easier to work with then a proper fid when working with small size dyneema. I do use regular fids for double braid.

Those are two soft shackles that I made out of 7/64" (8-strand) Amsteel.

Soft shackles are a great first "splicing" project. They are easy to make, use small amounts of material (so if you have to throw one away it isn't a big deal) and are very useful around the boat. I like this style:
Better Soft Shackle

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
A friend gave me this Wichard, after completing the Whitbread Round the World race (he, not I). One evening it was laying around the boat when the lights went off. Seeing it across the cabin I could not figure out what the ghostly green light was. The knife glows in the dark, a great feature!
The single, unlooped lanyard hangs out of a pocket but can't foul, and in my mouth, makes this a one handed opening knife. I stays very sharp, even for a ss blade and has held up to 20+ years of hard use.

Attachments

Reactions: Markwesti

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
A friend gave me this Wichard, after completing the Whitbread Round the World race (he, not I). One evening it was laying around the boat when the lights went off. Seeing it across the cabin I could not figure out what the ghostly green light was. The knife glows in the dark, a great feature!
The single, unlooped lanyard hangs out of a pocket but can't foul, and in my mouth, makes this a one handed opening knife. I stays very sharp, even for a ss blade and has held up to 20+ years of hard use.
I had one of those and Im so mad I lost it, dont remeber where or when probably between moving but I regret it so much...

I do however still have my grandfathers old wax ball and leather grip for sewing sails...at least 40 years old

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have no pictures, but I like a serrated knife for the boat. And I have a Wichard marlinspike, and also a 'Traditional' fid (the semi-hollow type)

I use a pair of kitchen shears (also serrated) to cut Dyneema.

This site is great: L-36.com has a good tute on soft shackles

And I absolutely love my Brion Toss wands, and I thought his dvd "Eye splices" very well done, and his books good too.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/HarneyYachtRiggingLLC
Harney Yacht Rigging

I use ceramic knives. Mousing wirer or welding wire to splice small stuff and both the solid Samson fids and the Selma fids. I'd also suggest buying the good needs from W. Smith and Son. Worth it after you break a dozen of the cheap ones.

Pics of rigging are on the webpage and lots more on the facebook page.

That being said the tool that gets the most use while on a boat, is by far, my leatherman wave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts