SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we are currently anchored in atlantic city while bringing our boat home from Virginia to Connecticut. We have met up with two young sailors from Canada who are in need of a new headstay and jib. They are a unfamiliar with the territory as we are- any suggestions as to where they should go for replacement/repair ? Any suggestions would be appreciated .

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
Give Abbots a call. They are on the next island down, Ocean City, NJ. You can reach them at 609.399.2424

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the contact. Hopefully they can get fixed up and out of here on their limited resources. It's not exactly a sailing Mecca.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Are they headed north..or south?

For the sail..What size boat? Manufacturer? Any idea of the dimensions for the sail?
Hank on?

I have a slightly used Kevlar Jib for a foil.. for sale..in North Jersey..that I purchased while I was waiting for a new genoa to be made up. The luff is just slightly longer than needed for my 34 MK1 It's at my sail makers loft..but I can call and get the exact measurements.

If Abbots doesn't work out...You could have them give these folks a call in the morning.

Rigging - Linthicum Sailmakers Inc. I just found them on the Web, so have no personal experience with them.

·
2,449 Posts
For the head stay I'd recommend Silver Cloud on Forked River. It's a bit north of where you are now. If the rig is compromised they can motor up the Intra-Coastal on the inside (half day). They're not the cheapest guys on the Bay but they do good work.

Silver Cloud Marina on The Historic Forked River In New Jersey

I haven't done the inside since Sandy, ask around the dock to get an idea of max draft going north behind Brigantine and bring deet for the greenheads in that section.

I've also heard there's some shoaling where the channel splits around "LB" between red 108 and red 106 behind Beach Haven.

For the jib contact Moorhouse. They'll come down to Forked River and they can give them an idea of repair/replacement costs.

Moorhouse and MacCausland Sailing

Sorry, but I don't know of anyone who's in AC, and your choices get pretty slim as you go further south.

If they run into trouble between AC and Forked River, Morrison's in Beach Haven is more of a power boat stop but Jim will be able to give them a hand (to starboard at red 106). Just past the Rt 72 bridge Mariner's caters to sailboats. Rich knows his stuff and will be a bit cheaper than Silver Cloud, but Mariner's definitely has more of a "boatyard" feel than a marina and it can be buggy in there. Mariners Marina Barnegat (to port at red 44 north of the 72 bridge).

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
If they can stabilize the headstay and rig, their best option might just be to motor on down to the Chesapeake... Since you mention they're on "limited resources", a place like Bacon's might be their best bet for finding a length of wire, and a used jib that would suit them...

Or, at least have them give Bacon's a call, or check out their listings on the web. Could be well worth renting a car for a day, drive down to Annapolis and pick up what they need...

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
where are they tied up or moored at? I work at the Borgata. I can't do anything tomorrow.. but I can run them either way on Tuesday.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
I second silver cloud

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Thank you very much for the contact. Hopefully they can get fixed up and out of here on their limited resources. It's not exactly a sailing Mecca.
Are these folks capable of making their own repair, or are they gonna be completely dependent upon a rigger?

Most boatyards around here seem a bit further behind schedule than usual this summer... With the big Fourth of July weekend just a few days away, and their "limited resources", I don't like their odds of getting at the front of the line this week in most places around here...

They're in a poor location, to begin with... They really might be best off biting the bullet, and just motoring or motorsailing with the main down to the Chesapeake, where they'll have options galore after the holiday weekend...

Unfortunately, the weather's not in their favor between AC and Cape May, with a SW flow over the next few days...

·
2,449 Posts
Are these folks capable of making their own repair, or are they gonna be completely dependent upon a rigger?

Most boatyards around here seem a bit further behind schedule than usual this summer... With the big Fourth of July weekend just a few days away, and their "limited resources", I don't like their odds of getting at the front of the line this week in most places around here...

They're in a poor location, to begin with... They really might be best off biting the bullet, and just motoring or motorsailing with the main down to the Chesapeake, where they'll have options galore after the holiday weekend...

Unfortunately, the weather's not in their favor between AC and Cape May, with a SW flow over the next few days...
Jon, I was thinking they could stabilize the compromised forestay with the jib halyard and make the half day trip north in protected water vs. going up the Delaware Bay.

As you said the weather won't be their friend the rest of this week. But then I tend to be conservative...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are anchored before the bridge near the shore by g 13 buoy. Small yellow boat. We were the only two boats anchored there last night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts