SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting. One of its defining properties is to be everywhere convex so one would need to understand the practical ramifications of this. Also, it "barely" exists as a shape which means it requires very precise fabrication techniques. I wonder what its righting moment is. I'm tempted to buy one out of sheer curiousity.

·
Barquito
3,686 Posts
Does this actually have any practical application to the shapes of boat hulls (considering that it truly has only one point of stable equilibrium without weighting)?
No. Really, I have no idea. I started reading that article, then got a little headache, and stopped reading. It wouldn't be to difficult to build a sailboat that would bob around like a cork, and could be turtled and would right itself. But, who would want to sail that? :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about buying one too till I saw the price...............HOLY CRAP.
I do have Kleins Bottle and would love to have a Curta Calculator but cannot afford one.
Readin this stuff makes it so obvious that I really need to go sailing.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Why would this be desirable for a lifeboat? A simple weighted cylinder would be just as good, since while it is technically stable on the bases, in practice it would never float that way. One of the biggest problems with lifeboats is not making them stable, but making them livable. It does no good for the people inside to be shaken to death but be upright.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
My islander is morc rated which means it has to be self righting after a turtle its not the fastest sailer but gets the job done. There are many good sailers that are self righting. Most full keel sailboats are self righting.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I think in a boat (even a lifeboat) it is far more important to PREVENT the roll in the first place, then to recover from it. How long will you survive inside a boat that keeps rolling over every few minutes or so when waves get a bit more frisky?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts