SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a new bilge blower because mine is so loud I can't tell if my motor is running without looking at the tach. I am going with one of the newer inline style blowers. While I am at it I would like to redo the tubing leading to the bilge. I was wondering if there is any reason one couldn't use rigid 3" PVC pipe? It would make for a much cleaner look and would last darn near forever. I just hate the look of the "dryer vent hose." I would use a rubber flex coupler from the tubing to the blower. Has anyone ever done this before? Pros/cons???

· Registered
163 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I don't currently have an inline blower. Mine is the old school ultra heavy duty blower that might be original to the boat. It will be nice to be able to hear my stereo again while motoring.

· Registered
163 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the cage style on mine right now and I am replacing it with an inline. My cage blower is incredibly loud and vibrates the whole boat. I will give it credit though, it does move a lot of air.

· Registered
163 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could just bet something is inside the wheel throwing off the balance! (very common)
Hmm... didn't think about that. I am really just looking for an excuse to do the rigid tubing but it might be worth a shot looking at it. I also think the mounting bolts could use a little tightening and maybe some rubber pads. I just want to be able to hear some music while I motor.

· Registered
163 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine also passes through the lazarette and take quite the beating too. I want something that is durable and I don't have to worry about it being crushed flat and not moving any air. Also, it will look much better too.

· Registered
163 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If I thought my squirrel cage was salvageable I would probably look at tearing it apart and giving it a good cleaning but it appears to be a relic and is likely as old as the boat (43 years.) Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to condem this old blower but I can probably replace it in half the time of tearing it apart, inspecting and cleaning it. I'd rather spend my limited free time sailing :) My inline blower was delivered today and I purchased the PVC pipe and fittings. Looks like I will be into the whole project for under $60. I'll be sure to post pictures of the final project. If it turns out good enough to show off I will add it to the "Low Bucks Projects" thread. Now to find the time...

· Registered
163 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
FYI, you do know these blowers, the motors are out of the air stream...in other word explosion proof. One spark from a fan being used to exhaust flammable fumes will be a problem. I'm not going to take my time to look it up, but I am sure there is a safety code here.
Yes all blowers must meet USCG codes to be use with flammable gases. The inline blowers used for this type of application have sealed motors.

· Registered
163 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Don't throw out the old blower. You will find that the 43 year old one, rebuilt will last you another 43 years and the cheap setup you just bought, you will be replacing in a few years.
I never throw out anything if there is a chance it could be useful in the future.

· Registered
163 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My only question is do you only need a fan to pump air out or can you have 2 fans one to blow in and one to blow out
You only need one fan. I don't think two fans would hurt anything but it wouldn't be necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.