SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeings as there is very little info around about these I'd thought I'd start a thread inviting anyone who owns or has used one to comment on what they think of them?

Rigid Boats

I just bought one but haven't used it yet it being the middle of winter and all. I'm interested to see what I think of it and if it performs to my expectations. I'm thinking the stability will be great, getting it on deck using the spinnaker halyard shouldn't be too bad as we have 2 speed winches or 3 speed in the cockpit if needed. Thinking of a set of davits next year.

I found mine used for a great price and couldn't resist giving it a try.

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
8,680 Posts
You might wish to try using the windlass drum to pull it up. We used to use a winch, but the windlass does the job much faster and with much less strain on the gear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Capsta, as soon as I finish rebuilding my new to me old anchor winch I will do just that! I like you style!

We just upgraded to the 36ft boat last year so we are still getting the bugs worked out and all the bits and pieces we want installed.

·
19,489 Posts
We used one of these (different brand, I think) for a mark boat for our local YC races. Nice in that punctures were never an issue, and it planed readily enough being so stiff. The plastic was boat-friendly (as are our rotomolded kayaks).

We had a 12 footer with a 20HP engine and a center console.. the only downside, (and it was a biggie for us) was that it was a very wet ride in a chop. No spray deflectors and since we routinely operated in 15-20 knots of breeze we always got soaked with the wind-blown spray. In the end we swapped it for an amazing dry-riding Boston Whaler.

I can't recall the weight of it, but the one we had would have been awkward to be lifting all the time, I think. I don't recall it being especially light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts