SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a Norwegian 34 year old traveling solo to Rio 6-19 February and would love to link up with the sailing community in the area (will travel). I can crew or just meet up for a drink to get some tips on sailing in the area. I have sailed since I was a kid and currently have an Ensign at Miramar yacht club here in New York.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am from Rio but I live in NY. The sailing community in Rio is not that big, but you should stop by Marina da Gloria, the municipal marina, and talk to people. Niterói (on the other side of the bay) has quite a few sailing clubs.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You might want to check out Ilha Grande as well (a few hors south of Rio and a beautiful place). Quite a few sailboats there anchored off the town and you can always charm your way into some daysailing. Pity I won't be there at the time, otherwise I'd be happy to take you sailing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - seems to me that the sailing community in Brazil/Rio is not really that big. I'll try out your suggestions though, but my suspicion is that it can be hard to even gain access to the yacht clubs without an invitation. (The disadvantages of sailing in a class segregated society?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Santos has a fairly respectable community, by norske standarder ;)
Sail down the bay and past the fort there's a sailing club. I'm sure the brazilians will welcome you when you say you are norwegian and want to speak with peixinho!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.