SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Possibly improving
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jib is on a roller furler and has recently developed a small tear. I'm assuming it will grow if I don't do something soon. How difficult is it to lower the jib on a furler in order to repair? Any tips/advice is appreciated.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Unfurl (unroll) the sail, untie the halyard, leaving it loose, but tied at the end so you don't lose it aloft, and pull the sail down and out of the foil. Pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It can get a little tricky to do solo. with a big headsail, If your halyard is led aft to the cabin top, if it's a windy day etc. etc.

I'd try to find a calm day, unfurl the sail and sheet it in tight on one side of the boat or the other, skirt it inside the lifelines. If the halyard is led aft then it helps to have someone ease the halyard, while someone else gathers the sail and keeps it from going overboard. Otherwise, you could try to lead the halyard forward with you, making sure you knot the end and don't let it run free as you lower the sail. ( don't let go!)

You could pull it down at the foil, as you east the halyard, just take care that it's coming down on deck and not going overboard. You could also position yourself near the center of the foot and guide it to the deck, if it's coming freely out of the foil.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
If you are going to repair it yourself apply two equal size HD stickback sailcloth patches one either side and sew round the edges.

Zig zag is better but straight stitching has worked for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts