SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost another good one this evening, fellow sailor and 'the most trusted man in America'...RIP Walter Cronkite.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
We have lost a good one!

A radio call went out in New York City's upper harbor. Does anyone know where a sailor can find some ice around here? The call came back, WE have Ice on the WYNTJE.

The boats found each other and Walter handed over 1/2 a garbage bag full of ice.

This is an true story. I know the parties that got the ice.

" that's the way it was."

·
Registered
262 Posts
Met him in Marblehead Harbor once when he pulled up to dock. He signed a copy of the sailing book he had just released...it was around 1984-85. Good guy.

Also use to watch him sail into Edgartown Harbor on occasion through the anchorage (his home port) when I was there cruising.

We'll think of him while sailing today on the Chesapeake Bay with the family.

He certainly had a great life.

RIP

Moe

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
Uncle Walter was the news for the first half of my life. And ha was the consummate sailor. I recall reading in a SAIL magazine (I think it was SAIL) about he and his wife sailing into a new harbor. He was at the helm and standing, waving with people on shore yelling, "Hello, Walter!" When hos wife rushed up from below and said they aren't saying Hello Walter, they are yelling, "LOW WATER!" He turned around to avoid running aground.

As I sit here this morning watching a lengthy tribute to his life and career, it is amazing just how much of those times I recall with him telling me about it.

"And that's the was it was..."

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Being Canadian, I would say he wasn't the same figure here, although he was certainly well known, particularly when he called the Vietnam War a "stalemate" in '68. I recall more his science documentary hosting in the '70s and '80s...he was exceptionally good at that sort of thing as well. I also knew he and William Buckley, while seemingly not on the same page politically (insofar as Cronkite ever made his personal politics known), were probably the best two "media sailors" on the U.S. East Coast...and now both are gone.

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
I also knew he and William Buckley, while seemingly not on the same page politically (insofar as Cronkite ever made his personal politics known), were probably the best two "media sailors" on the U.S. East Coast...and now both are gone.
There is another pretty well known "media sailor" and that would be Ted Turner (Owner & starter of CNN). He has raced in many ocean races and won an AC in Courages. I miss seeing the engineer's hat of his.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts